Model 10 - forgotten fun!

John D

Took my wife shooting to familiarize her with her new S&W 380 EZ pistol. Since we were going shooting, I also brought the Model 10 revolver that is her "bedside" gun to make sure she was still up to date with it (she doesn't shoot very often).

Once we'd gone through both of the guns and she was comfortable, she said "why don't you shoot your old revolver?" I've got lots of guns and have recently been shooting my new .40 cal; I also took my GP100 & Python out for some .357 enjoyment.

But, I forgot just how fun a .38 special Smith could be! I went through several cylinders of ammo, double-action, with that wonderfully smooth trigger. Mild recoil, small groupings, a thoroughly enjoyable session. Sometimes I get caught up in the "newest" or "biggest bang" and need to be reminded that shooting lighter loads can be a great experience; I guess that's why each session ALWAYS includes a .22 or two!

lamarw

I completely agree. I have number of Model 10 of various engineering changes, but for some reason it seems the 10-5's excel in smooth triggers. It could be because most of them worth former LE revolvers.

Vulcannut

I couldn't agree more. I don't have the most desirable Model 10 but my model 10-11 was someones old sidearm and has the wear to prove it. I replaced the worn out Goodyears with some Altomonte grips and it's one my favorites. The gun has the smoothest DA of any gun I own or have handled. Haven't found one yet to come close. A Model 10 with some 158Gr LSWC (on top of some trail boss) just makes me smile.

That said a 2" Model 10 is on the next gun list.

curiousg

I got a four inch tapered barrel model and I enjoyed it so much I bought a second one. I also scored a two inch model and fitted it with a four inch model 64 heavy barrel. I just wish the Butler Creek grips were still available, they fit my hand the best and were inexpensive.

ThomasT

I don't have a model 10 anymore but I do have a model 15 and a model 65 That are just so much fun to shoot with mid range 38 special loads. The model has been my HD gun for a couple of decades. I have several semi autos but I feel just as well armed with that gun as any I own.

I really need another skinny barrel model 10. Oh I forgot. I do have a skinny barrel model 10 with a 6" barrel. What a great shooter that one is. I get good groups at 50 yards with it.

amd6547

Mine is a “pre-Model 10”, likely made in 1957, my birth year. It is a four inch taper barrel in very good-excellent used shape.
I like the Remington 158gn +P swchp, the 135gn sbgd or the Winchester PDX 130gn.
I have carried it from time to time, IWB in an older Bianchi #3 holster. It’s a very easy carry with the pc-Magna grips and Tyler T-grip.

CajunBass

I've probably owned a dozen or so Model 10's over the years, but somehow traded or sold them all off. They're one of those guns that it's easy to sell, because I know I can always find another one if I get the urge.

But I do have a really nice, Model 64-1 that I haven't gotten around to shooting yet. It's been fired I'm sure, but there isn't much evidence of it. I replaced the stocks that came on it for this set of aftermarket targets.

CommandoX

I was lucky enough to find a Model 10-1 in the summer of this year. It isn't in pristine condition and it was converted over to target pistol-single action by a competent gunsmith before I got my hands on it but.....I love it. It is a joy to shoot and if I do my part it is very accurate. I take it to the range almost every time I go and that means twice a week. Great gun.

Leaf

At the San Diego Police Academy we were issued S&W Model 10 revolvers and wadcutters for training. Archaic revolver but a lot of fun. I owned a Model 15 that I still regret selling.

USNRet93

I completely agree. I have number of Model 10 of various engineering changes, but for some reason it seems the 10-5's excel in smooth triggers. It could be because most of them worth former LE revolvers.
When flyin' jets in USN and USAF exchange..Model 10s were what we 'qualified' with for that wee ribbon..Lined us up, handed out our Model 10s from a locker that had a TON of them in there(late 70s) and shelves with boxes and boxes of .38 ball ammo on it.

Way easy to shoot well enough to get the ribbon..really fun, simple gun. Gunner's mate that ran the range said we could come over anytime to shoot the things..as much as we wanted. Wonder what happened to them...

SaxonPig

Everybody should have one...or three.

standard.jpg

AzShooter

I had to get rid of all my centerfire guns this year because I was moving into an assisted living place that didn't allow guns. Fortunately I didn't make the move but it left me with only my Model 10 that I keep for protection. It fits my hand just right and shoots the lights out of most small guns I've shot.

KyJim

I have three Model 10s myself. I've recently started carrying my three-inch barreled Model 10 from time to time. They all really balance well and shoot great.