Model 1 Sales

Dirty_Harry

Ok gentleman, I was just handed a broshure for Model 1 AR-15's. I am looking to get 3 more, a standard 20 inch, a 9mm AR platform, and a another 16 inch. I know that they are kits, and I know I could probably put one to get easily(I have done it numerous times with my Bushy). Now, tell me how well they function, and how there quality is. I mean they are half the price of a Bushmaster! Also, what are the laws in Indiana regarding building your own firearm.

Thanks in advance,
Dirty

AMT8951

Harry
There was recently an article in "SWAT" magazine, about assembling an AR from a parts kit. The guy who wrote it (don't recall his name) seemed to think pretty highly of "Model 1 Sales". I think he said that they are one of a bunch of companies that have been making M-16 components for a while now. There prices seem to be pretty good.

I have an M4 that I put together from parts from numerous sources. The upper is DPMS, the lower is Olympic, and the barrel is from Bushmaster. I think there may even be some "Model 1" parts in there. Two good things about building your own weapon:

1. You can get it set up just like you want it (Adj. stock, barrel length, whatever).

2. By the time your done you will definitly have a better idea about how an AR works.

Also, It's a lot of fun.

GOOD LUCK! :)

MisterPX

There are no issues assembling your own rifle in IN. As to M1S, I've had a few kits from them in the past. Only issues are terrible triggers, heavy barrels, and I've found the M1S barrels not to be too Wolf friendly.

Ben Swenson

My luck has been uniformly awful with Model One Sales.

I've had damaged parts (sheared trigger pivot pin - even parkerized on the broken side), missing parts (bolt buffer) and bad chambers (on a 16" stainless bull barrel). I tried contacting them once about a problem and they agreed to send out a new part ... and never did.

Their prices are low and I know some folks have had good experience with them, but I never, ever have. They may have changed in the past few years, but I won't do business with them.

As MisterPX said, you're fine assembling your own rifle in Indiana as long as the lower receiver has been legally obtained.

Best of luck.

Lycanthrope

I'd build another one in a heartbeat.

Owning a couple semi customs (and having used to be an AR snob), I figured I'd build the cheapest possible just for beating. This was $515.

Model1small.JPG

This one has about 2000 rounds through her. The first 1000, I never cleaned the bolt or carrier.....most of it was with Wolf.......a LOT of it was bumpfired.
I beat this gun HARD and it never had a malfunction of any kind. The casting on the gas block is rough and the lower parts looked painted versus parkerized, but it runs like a champ......oh, and 3/4 MOA with 69gr SMK out of a non floated pencil barrel isn't bad.

I have no personal experience with Model 1 but all of their parts are Mil Spec so they have to meet that standard quality.

As for how they function will depend on the quality of ammo you shoot. If assemble properly, you should have now problems.

I would not be affraid to purchase from them as long as they have a reputation for satisfaction and service.

Rob96

I plan oin doing one more AR. My current DPMS M4 was originally suppose to stay K.I.S.S., but the bug bit me. I tricked out a little. My next one is going to be simple. CMMG is looking as well as STAG. Read of too many quality control problems with Model 1. I did however order their 1 piece scope mount which is very nice.