Modding a Mossberg

Drizzt

I still have the 20ga shotgun that was my first real gun. Since I was about 7 or 8 when it was given to me, the stock had to be cut down a little in order for me to be able to hold it properly. Fast forward about 40 years, and I want to make it into something practical again. I would have to get a new stock no matter what, since it is now too short for me, so I am thinking about transforming it from a hunting shotgun to one more suited for defense, and since it is a 20ga my wife will have less apprehension about having to fire it. My question is, what can I or should I do in order to effect this transformation? It is a New Haven model 600CT, which I am told is pretty much the same as a Mossberg 500, so I would hope that after-market add-ons would be fairly easy to come by.

burrhead

I'd just cut the barrel down and call it a day. It does'nt need anything else. Bead sight is perfect and anything you add is just more weight. KISS

Often people want a shorter LOP for a defense gun. This is especially so if they actually want a tactical gun for use with body armor. But that is not a home defense gun.

If you only need to lengthen what you have by a inch or less, you should be able to do so by adding a spacer and perhaps a thicker recoil pad.

SARuger

I'm with burrhead :), I chuckle saying that ;-/

But if you want to keep the original barrel there are plenty of options out there and barrels for the 500 are cheap compared to the 870. I paid $175 for my rifled/cantilevered Remington slug barrel and I felt like I got a deal:eek:

jaguarxk120

All those $80 barrels were 12 gauge, kind of hard to fit on a 20 gauge gun.

The 20 gauge 24 inch barrel is about $153.00, for that kind of money a used Mossberg 500 can be bought.

T. O'Heir

Yep, a New Haven Model 600CT is a 500. Downside is that there is not a lot of the daft aftermarket stuff for M500's. Stocks and barrels aren't daft stuff. Surf to Mossberg's site and look at the Muddy Girl.