Modded my Hogue Rubber grips for the LCRX today!

HighValleyRanch

Today I got down the process for modifying rubber grips. I used a disk sander with 80 grit coarse to shape, and then followed up with 100 grit to take off the melted rubber, and then coarse hand sanded to get smooth. Also found that a sanding drum works better than disk for getting all surfaces rounded and smooth.

These started as the longer Hogue Tamers that come with the 3" LCRX. Then they were cut shorter and I made a lanyard screw for carrying as a woods kit gun.

Today I narrowed them down quite a bit for CCW and rounded the butt like a round butt grip and then stippled the whole grip area with a solder iron. The Hogue grips have a plastic body under the rubber, so if you grind down too much, you expose the black plastic, but fortunately I found that when you stipple, the rubber portion and the plastic portion come out identical, so it's hard to see the difference.

This makes for the perfect CCW and shooting grip!. I've shot the hottest BB loads with this to 450 ft. pound ME and they were downright comfortable. Not like an aluminum bat on a metal pole as with wood grips. Not as beautiful as rubber, but hey, it's a Ruger LCRx!LOL

By the way, that pocket pouch holds my 5 shot SL Variant speedloader for the LCRx and a speed strip with 8 rounds in my right rear pocket, so it's fast to reload.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000925.JPG
    P1000925.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 348
  • P1000926.JPG
    P1000926.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 342

Zzeke

What caliber is your LCRX? I have the opportunity to buy a friend's lightly used 3" LCRX at a very reasonable price. The only thing holding me back is that for some reason, he bought the .38 special +P version instead of the .357mag version. If it was the .357mag version, I'd have snapped it up immediately. I may buy it anyway. How does your shoot?

HighValleyRanch

I have the .38 special +P. I got it before they came out with the .357 version. I've also had the .357 LCR but gave it up when I got a Kimber k6. I wanted the extra round.
I love how light the .38 special version is and since it handles Buffalo Bore .38 Outdoorsman ammo really well, not much need to go with the .357 version. Think of it a s super lightweight 38/44!
Trigger is great on it, mostly carried, but plan on shooting it a whole lot more in the future.