Mobil-1 engine oil for gun lube????

imq707s

A guy at work was telling me today that he uses Mobil-1 15w-50 fully synthetic engine oil on all of his guns. He says it's a little thicker than standard gun oil (like CLP or Rem Oil), but since it's synthetic......it doesn't get thick and gooey when the temps get really cold, and it won't burn off when it's really hot.

I know that there are a ton of other really great gun oils and greases out there......but does this guy have a valid point?

Anyone tried this?

Shadi Khalil

I managed a auto repair shop when i was in school, some of the guys there swore by it but i would never do it. like you said, there are a ton of products out there specfically made for firearms, why take the chance on one of your beloved firearms?

nate45

I have heard of it being used for lubrication on semi auto rifles and pistols, quite a few people say they use it.

On my Garand, AR, and 1911's I perfer to use grease to lubricate with.

I use lithium bearing grease it is inexpensive and it works well.

imq707s

Yes...I use grease on my AR and pistols also. It seems to stick better...and not flow off. I don't want the lube running out of my carry gun...and then being dry if I had to use it :eek:

Technosavant

Let's see, it is made for high temperature lubrication of metal parts that move against each other, while resisting gunking by carbon buildup.

Gun oil is made to perform well at high temperatures, lubricate metal parts that move against each other, and even keep from attracting carbon buildup.

Check, check, and check.

I would expect it to make a great gun lube, and others have said it does indeed work well for that. I might lean toward a thinner variant (like 5W20), but that would pretty much be personal preference. I might pick some up when I finish off the gun oil I have lying around, just to see how it works. I would probably try to find a better applicator than the standard quart bottle though.

Bill DeShivs

There are probably vey few lubricants that are specifically designed as "gun oils." Most are multiple use lubricants, despite how they are marketed. Besides, guns don't really need "miracle lubes." Any good oil should work fine.

HappyGunner

Going to give it a go in my AR

I read that many use it Mobil 1 in their ARs I plan to give it a go also.:) I use it in every auto and truck I own even have it in my Honda Generator.;)

IdahoG36

I work on vehicles at a Dodge dealership for a living and I can tell you, Mobil 1 is some good stuff. I use it exclusively in my vehicles, but haven't considered using it as a firearm lube. Mobil 1 makes a 0w20 weight. It is pretty thin. I bet it would work well. As stated in other posts, the inside of an engine is an extreme environment. Temperature extremes, lots of moving parts moving at a very high speed, and lots of contaminants. Engine oil has specific additives to neutralize the byproducts of internal combustion. If Mobil 1 does well there, I doubt it would fail as a firearm lubricant.

LUPUS

Mobil-1 works very good as a lubricant, especially in the winter, but does not exhibit very good rust protective properties. If someone routinely maintains his guns, there is no objection to use it in firearms as a lubricant.
Regards.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Mobil-1 works very good as a lubricant, especially in the winter, but does not exhibit very good rust protective properties.
Fortunately there's Breakfree CLP.

It's made of PAO synthetic oil (just like Mobil 1 was before PAO got too expensive/scarce) but has additives that make it an excellent corrosion preventive.

Te Anau

Ive used Castrol full synthetic motor oil for years as a gun lube and it works great.It does have anti-rust properties regardless of what people claim.

HappyGunner

The main part

The main part I will be using the Mobil 1 to protect is the Cam Pin on my ARs Bolt. It get really hot when fired and takes a lot of stress loading. If it breaks your Bolt is stuck in the Carrier and both are stuck in your now useless AR.:(

wolfmann

You have to remember that in a engine a oil pump keeps things SOAKING in oil in order to protect the engine,im not sure I wanna soak my weapons in it and then run them( a bit messy?)
For storage im not sure either ,I know acids develop in oil sitting for awhile.
Breakfree will gum up in long time storage also(1 year in a Colt revolver it wouldnt let the cylinder move.)
For short term I have thought about soaking a pistol overnight(take off grips)
and seeing how it looks in a month or 2,so far i havnt had the guts to do it.

tomh1426

I heard someone say they used Lucas oil stabilizer on their 1911
I use Weaponshield and I just got some tetra grease to try out

JohnKSa

Administrator
It does have anti-rust properties regardless of what people claim.
Any oil has anti-rust properties, I don't think anyone's denying that.

However, not all oils are equal when it comes to corrosion protection. The better gun oils have impressive anti-corrosion properties due to their formulation and additives.

It's easy to test for yourself, but others have already done such tests and put the results on the web.

This website shows the results of a few corrosion tests, one of them includes Mobil 1, a "full synthetic" motor oil. Although nearly all of the products protected the metal better than nothing, clearly some did much better in the test.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Seven High

As I understand it, Breakfree does three things: cleans, lubricates, and preserves. Mobil 1 only lubricates. I will stick with Breakfree.

DBotkin

For storage im not sure either ,I know acids develop in oil sitting for awhile.

The acids come from combustion by-products inside your engine, not from the oil. Mobil 1 should work just as well as any other oil for your guns. Note that I said "oil", not "cleaner". It's not formulated to do what CLP does.