Mmmmm... FEG Browning HP clone

Poplin

I can't seem to get my mind off the FEG PJK-9HP, the FN/Browning Hi-Power clone. A search of TFL and http://www.fnhipower.com turns up some thoughts:

Pro

1. Fantastic Bang/Buck ratio
2. Nice, reliable gun

Con

1. It's not a real BHP
2. It's not as nicely made as a BHP
3. Some people have had problems
4. Some parts (slide stop...) don't interchange with BHP
5. Some standard-cap magazines don't work
6. Aftermarket grip panels don't fit(?)
7. Softer metal(?)
8. It's not a real BHP

I'm poor, so spending not much more than $200 on an upgradable gun would be nice. Later, I'd put on some slim grips and a wide trigger for my shamefully small hands. Do those .22 conversion kits for the BHP work with the FEG?

You BHP lovers seem so darned happy! I want to be one of you! Convince me!

-P

Tropical Z

I have the Feg FP-9(ventilated rib model)and hope its a great gun.Its true the machine work isn't as nice as it could be,but they tend to have great finishes.I've always heard that Fegs are top quality steel but who knows.Can't help with the .22 conversion,but i'm sure some smarty pants here will have the answer. :)

Borf

I bought the PJK about 5 months ago. I think it's a whole lot of gun for the slightly over $200 range. After getting a few hundred rounds through it reliability has improved drastically. At this point I can generally fire ~100+ rounds before the first FTE, and that seems to be due to getting dirty. The external finish is not bad, internally there were a *whole* mess of tool marks. Some filing on the rails and here and there cleaned things up pretty well. Slide to frame fit is pretty wobbly, but from what I gather that's not unusual for BHP types.

Accuracy is *good*. If I'm careful, I can keep a 50 round box of ammo inside a fist sized hole at 15 yards offhand - well, 50 minus the 2-5 flyers I always get... but that's all me, not the gun!

Only down side so far - there seems to be some peening on the upper rails (the ones right under the chamber - where it smacks down when it locks - what are they actually called?). It's just visible at this point, not much metal displaced - but I've only got ~1300 rounds through the gun. I heard folks say some examples are better than others, hardness-wise.

If I wear it out by 4000 rounds, I'll just buy a new one for what it cost.

Just buy the thing! It's cheap, and a whole mess of fun to shoot! :)

glockorama

Mine has been awesome after an initial break-in peiod and a polish job on the feed ramp. I have heard that all parts except the slide stop are interchagable. I have put several different BHP grips on my FEG and they all fit like a glove. I wouldn't worry about the parts interchange, I think any BHP part will fit an FEG (except slide stop, anyone know why that is?). Mine is VERY accurate and the fit and finish are very good. I had a BHP and the fit and finish on my FEG is actually a little better or at least equal. I believe the steel used is actually stronger than the notorious "soft" metal used in BHP's. Buy one, you'll be happy.

BMWGS80

FN is importing the P-35 in two sizes. I have seen the larger of the two and it looks as good as my 1960s BHP. We are going to stock them at the gun store I work at. I have not seen the smaller of the two. I'm waiting for a true sze comarison. I have seen both good and bad FEGs. I'll wait for the FN. Besides who really made the BHP first.

Cheers,

ts

Gino

Hey BMWGS80,

Any idea on the cost of the new FN Hipowers? I've been looking at the FEG guns, but if it's not too expensive I'd rather have the real thing.

I think you have a good idea of the pros and cons of the FEG. I'll just add my two cents on a couple of items.

6. Aftermarket grip panels don't fit(?)

Aftermarket grip panels don't always fit the FN Hi-Power either. Most aftermarket grips for the Hi-Power require at least minor fitting due to variations in the frame. The gun has been produced for 66 years now, so you are bound to get variation.

7. Softer metal(?)

I do not believe the FEG is made out of the same quality steel as the FN. That is based on my experiences talking to gunsmiths about the advisability of building a custom gun on an FEG frame. All of them were willing to do it but every last one of them indicated the steel was lower quality. It is also consistent with some of the FEG problems reported at FN Hi-Power (peening, etc.) That's not to say it is pot metal or bad steel because it isn't; but it isn't going to last as long or be as durable as an FN.

This is always a tough question because it is tough to quantify minor differences in quality. One of the reason's the FEG is cheap is because it is built with cheaper labor and materials. Cheaper labor doesn't always mean poor quality as the CZ75 can attest; but its difficult to get quality materials without paying the price for them.

The FEG is a good, reliable gun and a hell of a bargain at $250-280 new; but I suspect it won't hold up as good over time as an FN does. It will probably last long enough to allow you to save up for an FN though. My advice would be to buy the FEG now and see how you like it. If you love it, then save up for an FN.

[Edited by Bartholomew Roberts on 05-31-2001 at 05:00 PM]

glockorama

BHP's and clones have so many different stories and ideals behind them that it is tough to get a real firm handle on how they will perform. I do believe that there are more variances in FEG's from gun to gun, but good guns can be made inexpensively (the CZ-75 was mentioned, I have one and consider it the finest 9mm on the market), but also think of the Makarov. $130-170 will get you a quality gun that will last forever. I had a BROWNING HP in the early nineties. after 4-500 rds the firing pin broke, after about 750 rds the rear sight flew off, after 1000+ rds the frame and slide stuck together (frame had swelled out a bit). Each time I took it to a different gunsmith and every one of them told me that I shouldn't shoot +p ammo in BHP's because they tend to use softer metal than other manufacturers. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. All I know is that was a lot breakage and I shot only standard factory ammo. I do not shoot +p's in my FEG either, and I have had no brekages in 1000's of rounds (federal 115gr. 9bp ammo is great for defense, not +p but loaded hotter than most standard ammo and a good track record). For what it's worth.

[Edited by glockorama on 05-31-2001 at 02:19 PM]

Richard

I have more than a passing interest in Browning High-Powers(BHP) and clones. My opinion is that if you are going to use this pistol for recreational and home defense you can do a lot worse. My FEG has been reliable and accurate. I would not put a lot of money into it as you will have a hard time getting the money back when you sell. I prefer BHPs but if I had never tasted the real thing I would be happy with a FEG. I had a very bad experience with the frame on my FM HP and it cost me a lot of money to rebuild it. Buy the FEG, shoot it, and enjoy it. Regards, Richard

gryphon

For the price alone, you could buy 2 FEG HP clones for the Price of one Browning. For the average shooter, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference and probably wouldn't care. After getting some better magazines for it, the FEG has performed admirably. It's almost so good, I'm thinking of making it my top gun over the 1911...maybe.

Ledbetter

FEG or CZ

I've had both. You will thank yourself later for putting an extra hundred in now to buy a CZ-75B or BD. There is no better gun for the money, IMHO.

Regards and good luck.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ive been shooting IDPA with an FEG Hi Power for over a year and i've advised serveral people to buy new ones.

A few things I've noticed:

While the steel is strong the extractor spring in mine wore out after 2000 rounds, which still isn't bad.

The old model (mine) had more machining marks and had the tiny gritty safety that had to be replaced to make it a viable defense gun for me.

Bluing is THICK and my pistol is still not showing much wear except at the heel of the gripframe.

The NEW models have a slightly different slide cut for the slide stop (maybe thats what you are all talking about since my old model has a slide stop that looks side by side the same as a BHP) And there are no exterior machining marks and the 3 dot sights are a LOT nicer.

You can't beat this gun new in the box for spending $250, it hasn't gotten worse its gotten better.

As for magazines, mine has had no trouble with factory mags, BHP mags, "found in an old rusty can" mags etc. In fact the only mags I don't like are those 17 shot SA mags, and thats not the gun its the magazines themselves.

Drakejake

How Can One Buy a FEG?

I keep looking at the KBI site, importer of the FEG, but they have nothing whatever on this pistol. I have never seen one in a local gun shop or gun show. Where did all of you buy yours?

Drakejake

johnwill

KBI has recently gotten in some FEG HP clones again, you might want to check back with them. I bought mine at a local gunshow last year.

hlpsr

I have looked at a few FEG's at gun shows and am not impressed. I have 3ea. BHP and they are not cheap, but, they have increased in value. I doubt if the FEG will do that.

scoops

the few feg hp clones i checked out had awful trigers and looked like they were painted not blued.im still interested in them but id probably spend extra and get the browning.

rc

The innards are soft mettle and they are just not as good as a realy HP. Get a CZ 75 if your poor and don't look back. Avoid the FEG. That's my opinion. rc