MMC or kimber adjustables, what should I get?

railroader

I have a kimber custom and I'm planning on putting adjustable sights on it. I use the gun for target shooting and for some local pistol matches. I'm trying to decide between MMC sights and kimber adjustables. I guess my main interest is the sight picture. I've seen kimber's but not MMC's. I want something that I can get on target fast, accurately. I like my stock non adjustable sights except I had to file down the front sight when the pistol was new years ago. The gun was shooting very low.It now shoots dead on but the front sight is short to the point that I pick up up the front portion of the slide slightly in the sight picture. Any feedback would be appreciated. Which is it MMC or kimber adjustable? Mark

Attachments

• my kimber.jpg
    my kimber.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 56

AndABeer

I think both will require your slide to be milled

I had MMCs put on my BHP by MMC and they did an excellent job milling the slide. However, the slide has since been back to them as the rear lamps have gone dim and the front lamp went off to tritium lamp heaven. A set of MMCs arrived for my G35 improperly assembled and they had to go back. All problems were solved relatively quickly but should not have been problems to begin with.

Kimber adjustables use their own proprietary cut. While more and more sight makers are offering sights to fit this cut, you might consider going with Bo-Mar adjustables as you will find more options later on if you should decide to change them out.

If left to make a choice between the two listed, I'd go with the Kimbers as the MMCs must be drift adjusted for windage rather than just turning a screw.

sw627pc

just a note, MMC has made a number of sight assemblies over the years. One of their assemblies (elderly) used to be the only adjustable sight for the 1911 guns that didn't require a new front sight and maintained a fairly low "profile". Now days that isn't so rare.

Bandit

I have had MMC adjustables installed on 2 of my 1911's and can highly recommend them. They are durable, virtually snag free and ideal for carry use. They are the ONLY adjustable sight I would even consider on a carry pistol due to the way they engineered the rear sight to protect the rear leaf from being banged/snagged. I've never tried their tritium adjustables so can't comment on them, but their target and combat 3 dot adjustables are top notch IMO. They have models available that will replace your stock Kimber sights with minimal fitting (minor filing) according to their website. http://www.mmcsight.com/kimber.htm

Rick

Mike in VA

I added a fiber optic front sight from Brazos Custom (www.brazoscustom.com) to my Custom Royale. It turned out to be .055 taller than teh stock Kimber frontsight, causeing teh gun to shoot low. I contacted teh Kimber Custom shop asking for a recommendation on an adjustable rear sight. They came back with a recommendation of an MMC. The Kimber uses a std 1911 adjustable rear, but will require some machining of the slide. I just ordered one from Brownell's, FWIW.

AC's & 45's

I like the MMC adjustable rear sight. Hell I still like the old style MMC rear. The new one is many times superior though.

If for who knows what reason, you don't like the MMC rear sight, you can simply slide it out and slide in a new Novak's rear.

Win, Win!!:cool: :D :cool: :D