Mixing lead?

swampy308

Ok I posted about not being able to get ww from local tire shops, since that time i've been going
to a local shooting range, and hand picked about 150 lbs of range scrap.
Had a guy at work give me 15.5 lbs of #6 chilled shot.
I had already bought 20 lbs of
25 to 1 from roto metals, any thoughts on mixing this for light 38 special, 9 mm, and 45 acp.
Almost forgot found ww and other types of lead at scrap yard for .40 cents a lb, butt dont want to pay for it when im getting it for free, just yet anyways.

hartcreek

I sure would NOT melt the chilled shot as that stuff is too expensive and can be used for shot gun and or shot shells. The range lead would work just fine once you got all the debris floated off the top.

Range scrap should be adequate for those calibers you listed. A bhn of 9 or better should do the job. Powder coat on the other hand would eliminate all worries altogether. It's not till you get in to rifle calibers that your bhn numbers should increase to around 15 or higher.

Bullet diameter and fit to the bore of your pistol is the most important key element here using range scrap.

mehavey

25 to 1 from roto metals.... light 38 special, 9 mm, and 45 acp
before you start mixing lead, you might just try the 25:1 as-is.
People have gotten into the habit of shooting alloys that are
waaaaay too hard. You'd be amazed at how well softer (BN 6-7)
seals and shoots at moderate (under 1,200fps) velocities.

swampy308

Ok thank you for your information, i'll save the shot for now, butt I would like to mix the 25:1 and wondering what would be a good ratio.

hdbiker

scrap lead

Good lead wheel weights are hard to find anymore,but I can get all the range lead I want and have time to pick.I smelt my wheel weights and range lead separate and when I cast I mix wheel weights and range lead 50/50 with a foot or so 50/50 solder for the tin to help with mold fill out.These leads work well for mid range loads with minimal barrel leading. hdbiker