Mitchels Mauser M48

'88Scrat

Does anyone here own a Mitchels M48? I know some of the milsurp purists hate them and I kinda understand why.

But if I was looking for nothing more than a high quality shooter with no historical value would Mitchels be a good option?

Scorch

Pretty guns, nut pricey. You can buy unissued M48s online for about $400. Not as pretty as Mitchell's, but they will shoot the same.

FrankenMauser

They're generally pretty good, and, as Scorch noted, look very nice.
But they can still have issues.

My uncle spent a few years searching for the "perfect", affordable 8x57mm milsurp, so he could burn through the multiple crates of ammo that he had impulse-purchased with no firearm to use it in.

He went through three Yugo 24/47s, a beater 98s or two, and at least two Yugo M48s. One of the M48s was a great shooter, but looked like crap - which wouldn't fly. The last of the 24/47s (now in my possession) was new/unissued, shot great, and looked fantastic; but had sticky extraction issues (it was the ammo and a fairly rough chamber).

Finally, he gave in and ordered a Mitchell's M48 when they had a 4th of July sale, or something similar.
Accuracy is "okay". Nothing like the unexpectedly impressive 24/47s that I've owned*. But, "okay".
The rear sight pin and handguard screw like removing themselves.
And the receiver rails / feed lips are very sharp and rough. The rifle often mis-feeds or skips over cartridges that snag on the sharp/rough bits.

They're small issues that Mitchell's would probably fix if the rifle was shipped back. But my uncle is too lazy to box a rifle up and take 20 minutes of his day to drop it off at a UPS center or Post Office on his way to work. So, Mitchell's has not been given a chance to correct the problems.

*(During a discussion about our "most accurate" rifles, DPris and I noted the same thing about our 24/47s - all very accurate; even one for each of us that had bores so rotten and worn that rifling was difficult to discern from the craters and pits.)

I personally am amazed they're still in business myself. I haven't had good dealings with them. This was quite some time ago, to disclose.

eastbank

I bought a 8mm persion model 49 carbine in mint condition for 350.00 at public auction last fall that has no problems, so I say wait until a good one comes along.

T. O'Heir

"...milsurp purists hate them..." That's because they're cobbled together, refinished, parts guns being sold as milsurps. I don't believe their story that they're rifles found in storage in Yugoslavia.
Zastava M48 Yugoslavian Mausers vary a lot in price. There's a 1944 vintage rifle currently on Gunbroker with no bids(ends 24 July) with an asking bid of $325.
"...looked like crap..." Easily fixed.