Missing Extractor Insert-AR15

baddarryl

Hi all. My AR will FTE. It failed 3x in about 50 rounds today. Happened with PMC 55gr as well as LC 62gr Green Tips. I took it apart and found the rubber insert to the extractor spring is missing. I have a Wyndham essential components repair kit that has a small type of piece of plastic in it I think but it is a little large to fit inside the spring. I am honestly surprised the rubber insert is not in that kit. I am assuming this is my problem and I would also like to ask if this would cause any damage to the rifle as I have an event tomorrow where I will be going through probably 300 rounds. I guess if I had to I can wait until Sportsman's Warehouse opens up locally and hopefully they have an extractor set. I am now hesitant to get up at 4:30 in the morning to drive 3 hours to shoot an event with a malfunctioning rifle. Worst case scenario I damage the rifle or show up late if need be. Or can I shoot as is and just live with the malfunctions? What say you? Thank you.

marine6680

Clean the rifle, replace the extractor spring.

The insert is not needed for the rifle to function, but it helps with reliability of extraction when the gun is dirty, the spring is getting weaker, in automatic fire, and/or with carbine gas systems...

The O-ring does a similar thing. You can use a stiff rubber o-ring just big enough to go around the extractor spring, and that should help too, and be easier to locate on short notice.

jrothWA

WHAT does the stampings on the barrel say .223Rem [SAMMI] or 5.56NATO?

If the .223Rem, might be the problem as the SAMMI case is thinner, whereas the 5.56NATO is thicker. So you maybe fighting higher extraction force.

May need to detail the bolt assembly and gas tube.

stagpanther

What kind of FTE? Does the spent case fail to extracted from the chamber (in which case I assume the next round jams behind it)--or does it extract but not successfully clear the receiver? Do your successfully extracted cases show any unusual signs of damage along/on the rim? Your issues may be due to something else besides the extractor.

baddarryl

The barrel is a Wylde chamber 5.56/.223. The cases extract but don't clear the receiver so the next cartridge can't be stripped. Causes a jam.

stagpanther

The barrel is a Wylde chamber 5.56/.223. The cases extract but don't clear the receiver so the next cartridge can't be stripped. Causes a jam.
If your spent cases are getting out of the chamber I doubt anything is wrong with your extractor. If the next cartridge is not getting stripped by the BCG--something else might be causing an intermittent short-stroke problem would be my guess. Also, I would dry-cycle a dummy round to be sure the ejector has enough "umph" to throw the cartridge clear of the ejection port. If your dwell timing is off--or for some reason the cartridge is developing higher than normal pressures--that could cause problems with extracting the cases "in good style" but the spent cases would more than likely show signs such as scrapes on the rim face where the ejector and extractor contact the chambered round and/or bulging in the head area.

Last edited:

marine6680

Partial extraction, followed by a double feed jam...

Carbine stock? What buffer? If a Std, try an H or H2, that should slow things down enough the get things working.

jrothWA

The Wylde chamber is the compromise ..

of joining the SAMMI Chamber, with the NATO shoulder and neck, SO you maybe getting higher extraction forces and then nothing left for bolt to carry back and feed the next cartridge, especially if the round are 5.5.6 NATO rounds.

Try again with just SAMMI ammo.

Also try a .45 bore brush on a length of cleaning rod and clean the chamber.

bamaranger

insert

I would not want to shoot a match or attend training w/o my rifle being 100 percent, ie all parts present and accounted for, as it would wack me out mentally, and any failures I had would just amplify my poor already poor attitude.

I've heard that insert referred to as an extractor spring damper. Not to be confused with the aftermarket O-ring, which is not an original design, factory part.

I am of the belief that the insert/damper, and the O-ring serve two different purposes. The O-ring increases extractor tension. The damper does not, serving to make the extractor/ext spring function in a consistent manner, rather than simply increasing tension of the unit. And I may be a bit off on all that, but that is what comes to mind.