Miss Fires.

mitchell koster

Hi All:)

I've been getting lots of miss fires with my .22lr. I've been using winchester power points which have all worked really well up to now. I'm currently soaking the bolt, firing pin mecanism in desiel. Can you think of any other factors that could be effecting this matter?

Thanks and safe shooting

MK

dmazur

From another site -

Subtituting Diesel Fuel for Solvent

An M-60 is very different from a lever-action rifle, but both can use diesel instead of a solvent. Many military servicemen know that diesel fuel can be used as a solvent substitute in a pinch. This is so much the case that the occasional story about a soldier dunking his gun parts or even an entire assembled pistol into a bucket of diesel surfaces is told at VFW lodges and war memoirs from time to time. Diesel fuel breaks down powder residue, and between its low flashpoint and the need to pressurize it for combustion, it's also relatively safe to use in a gun. Like gun solvent, diesel residue won't explode in the chamber when the gun is fired. However, dedicated gun solvents do a better job at gun cleaning than diesel fuel, so diesel should be considered only a necessity-driven substitute in gun maintenance.

Read more: Using Diesel Fuel to Clean Guns | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4883142_using-diesel-fuel-clean-guns.html#ixzz0qsmYh1lk

My best guess is that the diesel is leaving something behind when it evaporates. You might try a product designed to remove powder residue, such as Hoppe's No. 9, and see if it helps free up any parts. You also might check all moving parts for "stickiness" -- immediately after removing the bolt from its diesel bath and then a day or two later after it evaporates. If things get sticky after time, there is residue the diesel isn't removing.

Dave R

How do the rims of the misfired shells look? Are they getting the same imprint as the fired shells? If the imprints are the same, it might be the ammo. It could be Winchester just didn't get the priming compound evenly in the rims. If the imprints look different then in may be the firing pin and/or channel.

rr2241tx

Diesel fuel has a lot of stuff added to it these days that leave residue behind as it dries and can leave sticky, gummy surfaces that will impair free movement of a floating firing pin. Clean your firearms with proper solvents then lubricate with a good grade of grease lightly applied and most likely your problem with misfires will clear up.

BTW you should post photos of Miss Fires, especially as she is apparently hot enough to cause weapons malfunctions.

rickyrick

FWIW,
some diesel fuels can be waxy, also did you know that microbes and algae can grow and live in diesel. don't know how that affects your rifle, but i have heard not to clean with diesel.
some 22's are picky about too much oil also.

Mr. fires might get mad about photos

sc928porsche

I have used diesel for long period soaks. I have had some old rusted revolvers in my time that I restored. The first thing that I did with them was to remove the grips, put them in a 5 gal bucket, pour diesel over them untill they were completely covered, put the lid on the bucket, and let them soak for a month. It made disassembly so much easier.