Misfires with Winchester Powerpoints.

mitchell koster

I've been getting heaps of miss fires with my .22. I've been using winchester power points. When i take the miss firers out they've got the mark where the firing pin has hit but i hasn't fired. Is this due to it just being cheap ammo? or is it maybe the firing pin starting to seize up? How would i loosen the pin? thanks all.

MK

Hog Buster

If you’re shooting them in an auto it just may need a bit of cleaning, 22s in an auto are nasty. This holds true to some extent in all 22s. A squirt of solvent in the right place may eliminate your problem, but 10 to 1 it’s the cheap ammo. This is a problem with all cheap 22 ammo, Remington is the worst.

gb_in_ga

...This is a problem with all cheap 22 ammo, Remington is the worst.
Yep. Some bulk ammo is better, some worse. In my experience, Remington Golden Bullets from Wally World is the worst. Federal seems to be pretty good. Your problem may be related to inconsistent priming in the cheap-o bulk ammo. I've encountered lots of that in the past, and with some brands it seems to vary from brick to brick, lot to lot. I've even encountered bad bricks of bulk Federal before. And then again, I've had fairly good bricks of bulk GBs before, and flawless bricks of bulk Winchesters. YMMV.

As an experiment, try doing a thorough cleaning on your rifle and then try a box or 2 of CCI MiniMags (which seem to be consistently reliable). If they run well (as I expect), your problem is ammo related.

loverme85

I love Winchester Power points. By far my favorite 22lr ammo, they're devastating on game, and I have been using them for about 5 years now with no problems at all.

banditt007

I bought a few boxes of these a couple of years ago and experienced the same thing. Good hard firing pin strikes...and no ignition. In fact i may have a box or two left and can give you the info on the box (lot # maybe?) and we'll see if its the same lot.

ive got a remington 597, its horrible it jams all the time, ive had some ammo that jammed 7 out of 10 shots. the ammo ive found that cycles the best is winchester power points and the winchester sub sonic ammo, the sub sonic stuff is the most reliable ammo ive used.
i live in New Zealand and i can get winchester power points (in a orange box) and winchester super x (in a silver box), i found the super x stuff (made in US) nowhere near as good as the power points (made in Australia).

But ive got a mate with a ruger 10/22 that doesnt jam with anything

TX Hunter

Mitchell

Rimfire ammunition in general is not as resistant to moisture as Centerfire Ammunition, sometimes If you leave Rimfire ammo in a Car, or near an Air Conditioner, or anywhere that condensation can form, your priming compound and power become damp inside the cartridge, and stop them from firing.

ISP 5353

I have shot a LOT of Winchester Powerpoints and I have never had a misfire with them. I usually buy several thousand at a time and have always had good luck.