Miroku .58 Zouave

Hdonly

Does anyone know much about a Miroku .58 Zouave rifle? I just bought one unfired for $265. Did I do alright or did I wasted my money? Can't seem to find much on the web about them.

Attachments

• pix831297641.jpg
    pix831297641.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 474
  • pix563444495.jpg
    pix563444495.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 137
  • pix258936819.jpg
    pix258936819.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 126

Hawg

You probably did ok. Miroku makes some fine rifles but having said that they also make whatever the customer requests and sometimes the customer wants extremely cheap and Miroku delivers. If it has Ultra Hi on it it's one of the cheapest ones and quality is severely lacking.

Old Stony

You probably got it close to half of what it would be worth. They are usually very good shooters. You did better than okay!

Model12Win

Mirokus are considered some of the very best replicas ever made.

Let's just say at that price, I'm damn jealous of you right now! :D

Hellgate

That thing has hardly been shot. The Zouaves get the wood burned right behind the nipple if they are fired a lot. I make a flash guard to keep the wood from getting scorched behind the nipple. That gun looks brand new.
Tye in Oreygun

Hdonly

The man I bought it from said that he though it had not ever been fired or fired very little. I think he got it in a group buy or from an estate sale. When I came across it, my self told me to just buy it. Price looked good and the pictures looked good. I couldn't find a lot of information on it quickly, so I just bought it. I feel like I made a really good deal on it. I should be getting it next week. Already bought some .570 round balls and musket caps. Getting ready to make some smoke. Here are a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• pix805593262.jpg
    pix805593262.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 77
  • pix636594446.jpg
    pix636594446.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 122
  • pix432095456.jpg
    pix432095456.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89

Model12Win

OP, I should tell you that the gun you own is equal to or better than the overpriced Pedersoli (Italian) reproductions available now... which sell for very close to $1000.

To say you did well is a gross understatement. You did better than most here could ever do in a lifetime. I envy you! :)

Hawg

OP, I should tell you that the gun you own is equal to or better than the overpriced Pedersoli (Italian) reproductions available now... which sell for very close to $1000.

That would depend on who contracted them to make it. Google Ultra Hi also made by Miroku and some of the sorriest POS to come down the pike. Most of those cheap Japanese Tower flintlock pistols that were imported by the gazillions in the 60's and 70's that wouldn't even spark without work were made by Miroku.

Hellgate

If you buy cast minie balls, check them over well. Since you can't weigh them at least look at the hollow base and look for voids. I perused a bag of 25 minies at a gun shop and at least a third of them had casting voids, wrinkles, holes, etc that I would have tossed back into the pot. Minies are harder to cast than roundballs so there will be more culls. I weigh all my minies that don't get tossed back into the melt.

drobs

The Op's rifle is an Ultra Hi.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102616&d=1469875441

Hawg said:
That would depend on who contracted them to make it. Google Ultra Hi also made by Miroku and some of the sorriest POS to come down the pike. Most of those cheap Japanese Tower flintlock pistols that were imported by the gazillions in the 60's and 70's that wouldn't even spark without work were made by Miroku.

So Hawg - what parts would you recommend the OP have on hand for replacements?

Hawg

The tumbler, sear and sear spring, maybe a mainspring and I would check to see if the breech plug was brazed in.

drobs

Seems those parts are readily available w/ some fitting.
Were the breech plugs brazed instead of threaded?

Hawg

I can't remember now if it was Ultra HI's or HY Hunters that had brazed plugs. I guess I should look it up but I'm lazy this morning. It won't hurt to check at any rate.

Hdonly

Pulled the rifle apart today. It looks to me like the bolster and breech plug are cast as one piece and screwed into the barrel. Then it was finished where visible above the stock. You can see the parting line where it was polished. I don't see any sign of braze or weld between the bolster and breech plug. Looks like a good strong design to me.

Attachments

• P8011136.resized.JPG
    P8011136.resized.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P8011137.resized.JPG
    P8011137.resized.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P8011138.resized.JPG
    P8011138.resized.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 68

Hdonly

Took the .58 Zouave out today and made some smoke. That thing is some kind of fun to shoot. .570 round balls with .015 patch and 60 grains volume of Triple 7. I have a short pistol range on my property and could only shoot at 25 yards. Shot about 6" high. Had to bury the front sight and aim at the bottom of a paper plate to get near center. Four shots made about a 5" group. Think I need to play with powder some on round balls. Moved to .577 minnie balls. Tried the same 60 grains. They made about 3" with the front sight buried in the rear. They were closer to the center of the plate though. It was just so hot and humid today, I did four mags with my Ruger P89 and called it quits. I love the rifle though, just need a cooler day to play with the powder load. As soon as I get some more trees knocked down, I am going to expand my range to 100 yards. This rifle kicks pretty good shooting the minnie balls. I need to reshape the patch box lid some so It doesn't dig into my shoulder. All in all, I really like this rifle.

Attachments

• pix915303468.jpg
    pix915303468.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 51

Hellgate

I have 4 different .58 cal MLs. When working up a load for them I put a sand bag betwixt my shoulder and the gun butt so's I don't develop a flinch. My hunting loads are 90grs FFF or FF under a minie.