Minute of deer reloads...

std7mag

My neighbor asked me to do some loads for him for his Remington 7600 pump in 30-06.
I have no issue doing this.
My issue is that he only shoots 3-4 bullets a year out of it to make sure it's sighted in.
He claims factory Rem Core Locts shoot about 3" at 100 yards.
I know I can get better accuracy out of this, but he is a "power" kinda guy.
(don't tell him, but he's not gonna get any max loads outta me!!!)

So it I can get him to 1"-1.5" would this be acceptable?
I know I'm gonna have to do the load workup for this myself, cause he flat out isn't going to go to the range and shoot that much.

jimbob86

If he misses, he'll have your reloads as an excuse.

Just tell him that due to liability issues, you can't afford to give him ammo you made, and the Feds won't let you sell him any you made ...... offer to walk him through loading his own on your set-up.

If he's too lazy to hit the range, it's likely he'll be too lazy to take you up on your offer .....

TimSr

Does he use the gun for hunting once a year, or just to shoot off a bench rest? If he only shoots 3-4 rounds per year, the gun probably shoots a lot more accurately than he does, so closing that gap won't translate into anything helpful. I'd tell him if he wants better accurracy, to try a box of some other ammo in 5 years when his current box is empty.

JefferS

If he's not sighted in after only shooting 2-3 shots per year, what's the chance his scope needs work, more so than getting custom handloads?

Thunderkiss

Unless you just want to do it, I would follow jimbob's advice. I have been through this before with friends and family members. My brother is the only one who took me up on the offer of coming over and I walked him through the steps and he reloaded his own .30-06. Some people think the reloading fairy comes and drops of bullets, primers, powder, and brass every night. They don't grasp the concept that I paid for all of it, they just want free bullets.

Hidalgo1

Do as you please, but I won't let ANYONE shoot my reloads. If they somehow got a piece of debris in their barrel that caused a catastrophic failure and they were injured, guess who their family is going to blame?

Sorry ... nobody shoots my loads but me and my son.

I just tell people that mistakes can be made, and I'm not comfortable allowing one of my loads in someone else' firearm. That's written in stone.

jmorris

If he s a good friend go buy a box of some quality hinting ammo and put it in a plastic reloading box. 20 rounds over 5 years isn't worth the trouble.

jimbob86

I have been through this before with friends and family members.
When i first started reloading, I loaded some rounds for an uncle and a cousin. I learned a little bit, and the uncle was very appreciative, even though I think he had other loads that worked better than mine ..... the cousin said the loads I made him sucked and he threw them out, brass and all ...... I learned something there, too. My BIL also did not appreciate my early efforts .....

.... sometime later, I learned of the legal liability I would have been exposed to had one of my reloads damaged a gun or caused injury to someone.

Some people think the reloading fairy comes and drops of bullets, primers, powder, and brass every night. They don't grasp the concept that I paid for all of it, they just want free bullets.

You forgot the magic clock with the extra hours and the free range time cards ......

Nope, I'll show anybody the process, even give an inexpensive starter kit or components as a gift ..... but I'll never load for anybody other than my children again.

Jimro

I've given reloads to family, and close friends that are like family. All of them shoot way more than a few rounds a year for hunting season. I felt comfortable doing that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that for my neighbor that I don't know that well. Later on when I might have more to lose I might have a different level of comfort.

For your buddy next door, get him some quality factory ammo as a gift.

Jimro

AllenJ

I too only reload for family (sons, uncle, and a cousin) and everyone else gets turned down. When they are persistent about me reloading for them I offer for them to come over and I'll teach them how, and tell them to plan on a few hours of work to get their 50 rounds of ammo. So far nobody has taken me up on that offer!

Longshot4

I went threw that many years ago. A friend saved me big bucks for my loading equipment so I felt obligated to load for him. I gave him a list of all the components bullets, primers, cases, 2-3 cans of powder, 5 plastic 20 round boxes, and I took his Mod.70 300 H&H for several weeks to properly work up loads. He was able to brag up a storm of conversations for decades. When he finely ran out of ammo his son wanted me to load for him. No way would I put the proper time and effort in some thing like that again.

I believe the smart way to handle a request like that is to suggest purchasing quality ammo from one of the well known manufacturers out there. Check out the bullets you want... and buy what you want. Winchester Supreme is one I would suggest for shotgun or rifle.

Paul B.

Back in the mid 1970's I had a small custom reloading business. Did fairly well until the cost of my liability insurance went out of sight. :mad:
The last time I loaded for anyone was for my ex-son in law for his new .300 WSM. When that was over with I sat him down and taught him how to do it. :cool: Now I just load for myself.
Paul B.

std7mag

Update...

Thanks all for the replies!!!

Well, the neighbor came over the other nite. He was at some obscure relatives of his wife's, who reloads. Guy gave him some reloads with Ballistic Silver Tips. So now he has 3 boxes of factory Rem, and one box of reloads.

I proceeded to tell him that this would last him for the next 10 years. (literally)
He was still anxious to do some with me. I told him to get his wife's relative to do it...

Haven't heard from him since... Oh well....

reynolds357

Whether or not that rifle is capable with any load will remain to be seen. Some of those rifles will shoot very good. What he is shooting with it now is about average of what most will do.

I proceeded to tell him that this would last him for the next 10 years. (literally)
He was still anxious to do some with me. I told him to get his wife's relative to do it...

Haven't heard from him since... Oh well....

I hope you don't need a favor from him in the near future:)

I've reloaded for many friends and I've shot several thousands of reloads from friends and commercial reloaders over the years. I nor any of my friends/associates have any problem with other peoples reloads - except some use the damnest homemade bullet lube.

I'm glad it has worked out for you so far. It undoubtedly works out for most people the majority of the time, but it's that one in ten thousand you have to watch out for. And if you shoot a lot, eventually you run into it. Read this thread and imagine the author is one of your friends who also has experience reloading and who lets his attention lapse for a moment. Even if you are too good a friend not to sue him for the mistake, there's nothing to stop your health insurance company suing to recover the cost of treating you, unless you purger yourself by claiming you rolled the load. In our litigious country, the potential for great grief is always there.

I think Reynolds357 is correct. A lot of 7600's and their 760 predecessors just won't shoot any tighter than about 3 moa. It has to do with how the barrel and magazine assembly interact under recoil forces. Its more than just the ammo. There have been some efforts described toward improving these rifles and their semi-auto cousins, but I don't personally know anybody who made one into a tack driver of any kind. In eastern woods, where clearings rarely give you a shot over 75 yards, they are perfectly serviceable deer rifles. But if you are in mountains or on the wide open plains, where you might get shots that exceed 300 yards, the ones I've shot would just not be adequate for a clean kill.

Hunter Customs

Just tell him that due to liability issues, you can't afford to give him ammo you made, and the Feds won't let you sell him any you made ...... offer to walk him through loading his own on your set-up.

The above advice from jimbob86 is pretty much what I do when people request of me to reload ammo for them, believe me I get a lot of request.
I don't reload for anyone, but will recommend a good source of reloading information and will assist them in setting up their equipment.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

4runnerman

I sight in peoples Deer Rifles every year now.I have run into that same story and situation too. There are just some people ( nothing wrong with it) That just don't care. If they can hit a deer and drop it, that is all that matters. They have no intrest in extream accuracy,just enough to shoot a deer. I say- If he does not want to come shoot it, don't worry about it.