Minor IPSC .40

mcrog

D.V.C
Need a load for .40 185Gn. LRN Lazer cast bullet.

Minor 125 FPS. Soft shooting and CLEAN burning power.

Regards Dennis

tonyz

40 S&W

HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance. HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant .

180Gr LRN Titegroup, WSP 4.5 OAL 1.12 1050 Fps.

180Gr LRN Bullseye WSP 5.3 oal 1.125 1090 Fps.

180Gr LRN HS-6 WSP 8.1 OAL 1.20 N/A This is a good clean powder for the 40SW.

Tony

yankytrash

If by "clean" you mean the smoke you're seeing, it could just be the bullet causing that, rather than the powder. Lead's just smokey.

ryucasta

Mcrog,

Even if you use a clean burning powder from a manufacturer like Vihtavouri the lube on Laser Cast bullets generate so much smoke that at times you'll think your shooting black powder instead of smokeless especially if you’re shooting an IPSC course of fire that utilizes a barrel as a port.

If you are set on using lead I would recommend either Precision Bullets or Bear Creek they tend to generate less smoke than Oregon Trail’s Laser Cast bullets.

Attached is a calculated load using a 180 grain Bear Creek Moly Coated bullet.

Attachments

• mcrogs.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

mcrog

Minor .40 lead load

Thanks all for the great info. In responce, by CLEAN I mean what the inside of you gun looks like after a 200 Rn match. I know the pit falls of lead bullets and smoke and build-up in the brl. I started this game with 200 Gn. LSWC and 5.8 Gn W-231 .45 what a mess, and stink....
Im about out of T.Group so HR-6 looks like a winner,worth a try.
Tonyz.... What is the abrevation (WSP)in your info.?
Thanks again. Dennis

KP95DAO

I load 180 gr Lee cast bullets using Win small pistol mag primers and 3.0 gr of AA-2 Imp. Loa is 1.10" and the MV is 725 fps. Very clean. Gives a PF of 130. This is in a FAC bbl in a G32.

AA-2 Imp is a very clean buring powder. Jeff Barlett sells this as number 102 powder. http://www.gibrass.com/