Minor design critique of Taurus PT-145

Forseti

So far, I am very pleased with my high serial number PT-145 (high serial number to duck the plastic receiver/frame cracking issue with eariler PT-145's)

However, I have noticed a minor issue with the gun's design. While very nicely machined, the design of the weapon leaves minor openings along the slide/receiver mating surface. This is not due to poor machining tolerences...quite the opposite. The gaps are "proper"...that is, not mistakes. Just the nature of the design of the gun. I can see the recoil spring, for example, through a gap in the slide near the spring.

They do allow pocket lint to enter the gun mechanism, however. (this is, after all, a pocket gun). I removed a piece or two from the gun after disassembly after carrying it for a while. Wasn't an excessive amount, but there it is.

If the gun were to enter a truly dirty environment, I would expect negative consequences.

Still, I have not actually HAD a problem with the gun. I've decided NOT to clean it until I take it to the range the next time as a real world test...meaning, I intend to carry the weapon...if it gets lint or dirt in it, so be it. I doubt it will fail to fire, quite frankly. The firing mechanism is very simple.

Just posting an observation, not necessarily a problem. This is, after all, a .45 that only cost $365 brand new.

Forseti

Here is a borrowed pic from another website...you can see the machined gaps along the slide.

TAURUSPT145SS.jpg

boing

Lots of guns are like that, including Glocks. I dunno if it's a bad thing, good thing, or neutral, but it doesn't seem to have hurt much in most guns.

Even a pocket gun should be in a holster (though I don't always use one, either).

Blackhawk

Second that on the holster.

Eliminates the crud and lint problem, but more importantly, the orientation of the gun doesn't change in your pocket.

wild billz

the pt-145

So how is your pt-145 holding up? i'm interested in getting one for ccw, but the frame issue has me scared. the pistol itsself is what i've been lookiing for, polymer, large caliber (though i may go with 9mm), small, light, resonably accurate, manual saftey, loaded chamber indicator- just what i want except the frame issues. theres a gun show iin orlando the 1st weekend of jan, so maybe i can find one thats a late model. any other commetns plese post them.

satxman

wild billz

I don't worry about the cracking polymer grip as I shot my PT145 for a month after I first noticed the crack. The gun continues on. If it cracks again, I'll get around to sending it in again.

BTW, Taurus turned the gun around within four weeks.
Notified me when they got it and notified me when they sent it back with all the tracking numbers. Followed the gun from FL to Tennesse to Houston. Stayed home that morning and got the gun. Not bad!

Great gun for the reasons you stated.

I have a pair of PT111's and I've been pleased with them. Trust me, the trigger pull does get better with use. Just keep an eye on it every now and then and watch for anomalies; don't shoot +p in it, and if you feel compelled to run a gazillion rounds of anything downrange during a target session, consider using something else. I love mine, but I consider it to be a 'carry lots, shoot little' piece.

YMMV.

Regards,
Rabbit.

wild billz

anyone know when the good frame numbers begin and the bad batch end?

also, any comparisons with the pt-111, i've heard bad things bout them, but if taursu fixed that issue too, maybe that would be better- 9mm is cheaper to practice with than .45

how's the pt145 handle wolf ammo?

thanks,

satxman

anyone know when the good frame numbers begin and the bad batch end?

Mine is a NVA which would be Jan of 02. It did crack. I believe you will hear from Forseti as he has done the research.

Don't know about Wolf but it has handled PMC, UMC, Federal Hydra-Shok, Winchester White box, Blazer, all equally well. I now shoot Georgia Arms, bulk, remanufactured ammo and the Taurus handles this as well. The Georgia Arms ammo is inexpensive, no sales tax outside of Georgia and had/has free shipping for $200 of orders as a holiday special.

Sorry, no experience with the PT111.

wild billz

ok, so what's comparable to the pt's

i like the features, what's out there that i can spend my money on if i don't find a late manufacture date, and chicken out on gambling on taurus

as a side note, where else do you guys post, since the tfl is going ?

satxman

Nothing. IMHO

Six inches,
Stiker Fired, DAO, Manual safety with firing pin block.
10+1 in .45, Big advantage!
22 ounces,

Safe, concealable and potent.

Gun-talk.com and 1911forum.com

or Glocktalk for a chuckle. Opps, sorry about that. Very entertaining site.

wild billz

comparable, maybe better?

the other gun i was thinking about is new on the market this December. and thats the springfield xd sub compact, but its only available in 9mm

so you say you've been firing it with cracks and no problem, what about people who have had it repaired? any further issues?

Forseti

Taurus customer service was not "date code" precise with me when they said they fixed the issue with the plastic cracking (remember, its the plastic that cracks, not the metal insert the slide moves across...thats why the plastic could break, and the gun could continue to function)...as a guess, I would get a high serial number gun, NVE or higher if possible. (as I have said in other posts, N= .45 caliber, V=2002, and the third position cooresponds to a month, A=Jan, B=Feb, etc. They also said the V will be replaced by a W for 2003 manufacture, so any NWx serial numbers would be "high").

I would not worry about plastic cracking if you have a high serial number. I researched this by reading, looking, and calling Taurus itself to ask if they recognized an issue...I figured its best to go directly to the manufacturer to ask for a comment on the bad posts.

I would also say you should use "standard" .45 caliber ammo in the weapon. If you want to use hot loads, like +P ammo, pick a different weapon that is rated for it. I've fired 230 grain ammo from Georgia Arms. And practice with the ammo you intend to carry.

I like the gun, and am pleased with the price, and surprised by the good performance. I am judging the accuracy of the weapon against my other two pistols...a P7M8, and a P7M13 (I love my P7's, and they are VERY accurate). I've owned a Sig P239 and a Taurus PT-92, and a BTA-90 (a CZ clone). While the P7's edge out the PT-145 in accuracy, the PT-145 edges out the other 9mm pistols I've owned previously.

There is no reason it could not last as long as any other similar weapon. And as long as Taurus stays in business (hopefully forever) I will have a warranty.

You can search my ID for other posts on the weapon.

I would get the stainless version if possible.

I also really like the lock mechanism...very unobtrusive, and I now use it a lot whenever the gun is out of my immediate possesion in storage.

Taurus even renewed my NRA membership a year for free...I think that deal may expire Dec 31 2002.

wild billz

thanks Forseti

i'll see what i find at the show, might have to wait for the 03 models. the pistol has what i've been looking for in a ccw piece, hopefully the issues are put to rest.

Forseti

I should also add the trigger pull will be long and relatively hard...softer than a double action revolver, but harder than your average semiauto. This is because the entire pull action of the trigger is pulling back the striker, and then letting go of it. There is no "half cock" or slide manipulation to "set" the striker...the trigger does it all.

I found this to be good for a carry gun...the trigger is unlikely to be pulled accidentally, due to its long travel.

Once I saw how the trigger does all the work, I sort of disregarded all those other posts about what a bad trigger this gun has...its advantages are true double strike capability, no cocking required, low risk of accidental discharge.

The firing mechanism is very simple as well. You will see this when you disassemble the weapon.