Mink oil as resizing lube

tangolima

It works great. Easily kicks the butt of imperial wax, which kicks anything else's butts. Besides I can water proof my boots with it. I can't put imperial wax on my boots, can I?

It smells a bit funky though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

When I first started loading in the early 80’s my mentor turned me on to Mink Oil and it worked great. As long as the ammo wasn’t stored too long no need to clean afterwards, but if the ammo was stored for couple years or more it became sticky and needed to be cleaned off. Rubbing alcohol cleaned it right off. The handy thing was, I’ve used Mink oil on my leather goods since 1968 so I always had it on hand, still do. But for the last 15 years I’ve been using the lanolin/alcohol spray with 100% success, but I do clean it off in the wet tumbler with just Dawn before loading.

tangolima

Thanks for the pointer. I only load fresh a few days before I shoot. I should be fine then.

Is there chemical additives in mink oil that could go funky on steel?

-TL

labnoti

Imperial wax is good to go for boots. A little pricey, and you don't want to use it on boots with a goretex liner because it could block the membrane.

tangolima

Imperial wax is good to go for boots. A little pricey, and you don't want to use it on boots with a goretex liner because it could block the membrane.
Many times more expensive, minus the expected fragrance. I'm all driven by cheapness.

-TL

hdwhit

I would never have thought of that

Mink Oil as a resizing lube? Who knew?

I got a bottle of oil for my ZZ Top-style beard for Christmas. It isn't all mink oil, but contains some. I suppose I could give it a try. Thanks for the head's up.

parttime

After harvesting a bear, take the bear fat then render it down.
makes the best boot wax, case lube and pie crust. Also it is the best way to fry eggs.

Nodak1858

Read about castor oil years ago, tried it and it's all I use now. Zero stuck cases, cheap and easy to rub on with a finger tip as you load the case into the press

John D

Have used Dillion's spray lube forever. Most of my cases are straight-walled and don't need it with carbide dies. Best for bottle-necked cases (.38-40, rifle ammo, etc.) One spray bottle lasts years.