Mini revolver or Derringer (NAA or Cimarron)

bonefamily

I have an extra couple bills coming in and wanted to get something different. I have always had my eye on the little NAA mini revolvers in .22lr/.22mag but recently started looking at the Cimarron derringer in the same caliber. From pics, it looks like the derringer might be a bit easier to hold as it looks a tad bigger. The NAA's seem to have a good rep of being a quality little piece. I would like to hear from you all your opinions on this if you own or have shot either. The purpose for this firearm would be range fun and perhaps a backup carry at times. Thanks!

Kappe

While I generally think Cimarron is a fabulous company, their derringers are manufactured by a company called Cobra. Cobra bought the tooling, machining and rights from Davis Industries to produce its pistols after the latter went under. Their derringers are/were made of poor quality materials - most of the barrels on them have sleeves, with the rest of the barrel and frame being made from what may or may not be pot metal.

They're also quite heavy. The .22LR derringer is roughly the same size as the .22 Magnum NAA Mini, but easily weighs 50% more.

Cobra firearms come with a lifetime warranty, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over having one as a fun gun, but I would be very uneasy with it as any form of defensive gun since there are much better options out there for not much more money.

NAA on the other hand indeed has a reputation as a quality manufacturer. If you're concerned about the small grip, consider getting the .22 Magnum version with a spare .22LR cylinder - the .22 Mag is appreciably bigger than the .22LR-only version in overall size. The hammer is also much easier to pull back than the derringers in my experience, and carrying them safe is a fairly quick and simple proposition (the cylinder notches), while with the derringer it is certainly not.

bonefamily

Thanks for the information, Kappe. You have me convinced on the NAA as well as the combo version for the added size. I also see they have a folding grip add-on that also might add to the holding.

Jim Watson

Good move. A friend has a NAA Magnum and can shoot it very well. I found a derringer to get boring pretty fast. And they are NOT as fast and easy to shoot as the NAA.

bikerbill

I've owned a derringer (Bond 9mm) ... I traded on something, it was a total waste for carry, tho it did get attention at the range ... only two rounds, weighs a ton, slow to reload, slow to cock, hard to shoot accurately ...

I currently have an NAA Pug in .22mag ... love it!! it's in my pocket all the time at home or walking the dog, tho I do carry something more potent if I'm going into town or traveling ... the Pug is loads of fun to shoot, very accurate inside 7 yards, carries five rounds (don't plan on reloading unless you're at the range), and is light as a feather ...

wnycollector

My normal summer carry is a 22 mag with boot grips. The larger boot grip allow for a comfortable two finger grip without giving up anything as far as concealability. I don't have a pic of mine, but pic gives you a pretty good idea about the differences in grip sizes.

NAA001.jpg

James K

Member In Memoriam
IMHO, the little NAA revolvers are fun guns, but unless maximum concealment is a primary consideration, they are not good self defense guns. They are just too small and it is too easy to fumble them when trying to use them, plus it is hard to get a consistent grip for followup shots. Plus, of course, they are single action. With so many good quality small autos and revolvers becoming available in the last few years, I see no need for those mini revolvers for any kind of serious use.

As for derringers, what BikerBill said.

Jim

redhologram

My fiancé has a derringer (Bond Texas Defender with the 45 Colt/410 barrel and .45ACP barrel.) It's definitely a novelty more than anything else. :rolleyes:

MattShlock

I have a Mini-Master. The Black Widow in .22 Mag for carry would probably be a solid choice (with some Hornady Critical Defense rounds) though I like the boot-grip laminate stocks very much.

gordyt

Bryan just to jump in on this thread...

I've had NAA Black Widow in 22LR/MAG for several years now. It is a great little gun and surprisingly accurate.

-- Gordon

arizona98tj

I have two NAA revolvers, a PUG .22Mag and the other is their newer model, the Sidewinder, in .22LR and .22Mag. The PUG is always in a leather pocket holster as a BUG. I find neither one difficult to shoot.

Here is a comparison photo between the PUG and my Ruger LCR. No comparison when it comes to stealth mode.

pug-2.jpg