Mini-review of Kel-Tec Sub 2000, .40S&W

Dave R

About 3 months ago I was able to find a Sub 2000 at a local gun store. I've been looking for almost a year. Glad to find it.

Sights were well-regulated out of the box, for 165 gr. loads. I found best accuracy at 25 yards was with a handload using 135gr. Nosler HP bullets (and a MAX load of Unique.) Those Noslers are about the cheapest JHP bullets you'll find, in the 250 box. Made some minor adjustments to the sights to compensate, and broke the front sight post in the process. The manual warns about that, but I did it anyway.

With the new sight post installed, I got it dialed in at 25 yards. Then, today, I finally got it to the outdoor range and shot at 100 yards. I'm very impressed.

First 3 shots are the top 3, in a triange. I was using a "center" hold. When I saw I was high, I switched to a "dot the i" hold for the next 5. 5th shot is out of the picture, just below the black. I called it a flyer, as the loudenboomer next to me got me. Even with that, its about a 5" group. The first 3 and next 4 are about 2.5" groups.

I'm very impressed. I'm sure the coarse factory sights are the limiting factor in group size, here. I'd love to hear from anyone who has put an optic on their Sub 2000.

Functioning through about 700 rounds has been nearly perfect. I had one FTF, first day, but it was clearly a mag problem. Follower got stuck and wasn't lifting the round. Cleaned the mag, and it has been perfect since.

Really enjoying this little carbine.

Sub200040100yards3-10-12.jpg

Willie Sutton

Nice writeup. I thought I was the only guy who really likes these. Mine is a 9mm for Beretta 92 mags. It's a great companion to the 92, I keep both on my boat in a waterproof case, and we feel both well armed and able to plink and shoot recreationally. Shoots great, accurate, light, and compact. Fits into a waterproof Pelican briefcase with the 92, a dozen mags, and a bunch-o-ammo.

Willie