Mini accuracy

rodwhaincamo

What is it that gives the AR much better accuracy? The way I understand it an AR has the ability to reach (accurately) way way out there, yet I hear a Mini can perform to maybe 200-250 yds. What is it that the Ruger is lacking, and what can be done about it?

Skans

Look at the following:

1. method of bolt lock-up - generally, the AR bolt locks up more securely and precisely than the Mini-14 bolt.

2. Barrel on the Mini-14 is "thin" compared to most AR15 barrels, which causes some flex when shooting

3. Over-torquing of the gas-block on the Mini-14 barrel.

4. Wood stock (un-bedded) doesn't secure the action perfectly as it ages.

5. Sight placement is better on the AR than Mini-14.

Most of these problems can be addressed on a Mini-14 and a Mini-14 can be made to shoot as accurately as an AR14.......it's just money.

If you put an Accuracy systems heavy target barrel on the Mini, replace the stock gas blocks, and place the Mini-14 action in a SCAR-CQB (sage) stock or other target stock, and adding some quality optics, you will have an incredibly accurate rifle that will rival any AR15. Just don't ask how much this is going to cost.

GONIF

IMHO ,you would be far better off with an AR15 . The AR will be better right out of the box . the box stock Mini14 will need to be played with to get good accuracy .the box stock mini's won't keep poa after they heat up (10 shots or more ) You could buy a built upper and the lower of your choice and have a first class AR for under $1000.00. I would start with a BCM upper and than a assembled lower and you would be GTG.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Last edited:

DBAR

First of all, let me say that I like Ruger Firearms. I just never took to the Mini. I don't know too many people that have. You can't do much to them to make them any better either.

What is it that gives the AR much better accuracy?

Skans pretty much covered all that.

The AR is more accurate out of the box, and there are a few things that you can do to it to make it even better. You can Free Float the barrel for a couple of hundred dollars. You can modify the trigger for free, or you can replace it for $100 to $400.

What is it that the Ruger is lacking, and what can be done about it?

Again, Skans pretty much covered it.

The barrel, the stock, the trigger, and that damn barrel band thing. The barrel is too thin, the stock actually puts tension of the thin barrel, and the barrel band securing the stock to the barrel creates more tension on the barrel. I think Ruger finally came out with a new adjustable trigger, but there are too many other things going on with the rifle that negate it's advantage.

DBAR

Skans

The Mini-14 can be made into an awsome rifle - one which I would prefer over an AR15. But here an example of the cost of making your Mini-14 (less the rifle) "Awsome":

Wood laminate nut meg custom stock with recoil pad
Factory medium 1" rings included
416 stainless steel premium or gauged barrel
Barrel diameters- 1" Bull, .875" Varmint, .750" medium and .625"
Length from 16" to 24"
11 degrees target crown
Twist rate to be determined by us depending on the weight & caliber of bullet. Finish on barrel satin or brushed stainless. Black barrels matte.
3 point steel bedding pillars
New operating rod where needed or upgrade yours
True bolt & action if needed
3.5# match trigger with set and over travel if needed.
New over sized hand guard to fit thicker barrel
New gas block, sling swivel, gas pipe and operating rod cup bushing
Sub MOA accuracy guarantee (1.040" is a MOA)
Caliber available @ this price. (7.62x39, 7.62x.308 bore only in .750" diameter barrel and gas block .223 Rem., 17 Rem., 204 Ruger are available in 1" and .750" diameters.

Price $1839.00

edward5759

mini14s

That damn barrel band thing.
It’s a problem on most all but the custom mini14s
Ruger was paying less than $40.00 per barrel, their out the door cost for manufacturing. I have bore scoped many minis and the barrels are poor at best. Just for kicks I had an extra barrel in 6tcu. I made it bull up to the barrel band and then standard size past that point. The rifle would shoot 0.75to 1.25 all day. Putting a good crown does it good. I just re-cut the crown straight off and left it at that. then attached the barrel band (TIG welded)to the gas assembly "like a M1A", that brought the groups down some. My son used it for coyote hunting for a few years after that.
All in all it was a time taker. Did it just to see if I could get it to shoot.
6TCU was a great round for it, but it does well in the AR system also.
My son still has it, but right now he is into single shot rifles. I would like the 30 ranch rifle, but .... I got to many rifles now to shoot.
"Good luck"
Ed

GONIF

for those that like Ruger firearms and the Mini enjoy ,I have had 3 Mini 14"s in the past and never could get decent accuracy . this has been a problem for years ,and Ruger is aware of it . you have to ask why Ruger can't fix the problem after all these years . folks will tell you how great the "new Improved Mini " is . Ford claims the new 2010 Taurus is a fantastic car now . I say fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me . Ya pay your money ya take your chance ,and you find out first hand . :rolleyes:

blume357

I'm a big Ruger fan... own well over 20... but have finally deternimend

the minis are not going to be target rifles... at least the older ones... the newer heavy barrel ones seemed to be a lot better.

I've got close to 1200 invested in a mini-14 and it still doesn't shoot worth a crap... then again I've got another 'stock' ranch model that is almost as accurate as my AR15 / M4.

olyinaz

The thing that's so aggravating about the Mini is that there's nothing wrong with it that couldn't be fixed with a more extensive redesign than the recent one.

Oly

rodwhaincamo

I find this to be very disappointing. This was Ruger's attempt at replacing the M14?!!! I love the scaled down M14 look. MSRP on a Mini isn't far off from some AR's I've seen. Hard to believe. I really like the idea of the new 6.8mm SPC as a hunting/SHTF rifle, but with a gas piston. An AR with a conversion just isn't affordable for me.

rodwhaincamo

I know just enough about firearms to get into trouble, but could the band holding the barrel be taken off? I assume it would be too flimsy. It was done for a reason. My understanding is that a free floating barrel touches nothing but the reciever.

a7mmnut

I once owned a stainless Ranch Rifle--bought at Wally world for $300 EVEN! I regretted selling it off for years, but now not so much. $300 is about all I think a .223 that shoots 2 1/2-3" groups will ever be worth. The new ones are even uglier, still shoot poorly, still have an outrageously cruddy trigger, and now have the beautiful addition of cheap and inaccurate "ghost ring" sights. After buying my Oly Arms K16 a few years ago for $650 that has a good tuneable trigger and that shoots accurate factory ammo into 1/2" all day long, I now consider my once-beloved Mini 14 a good replacement mail box post for someone else. Opinions do vary.

-7-

edward5759

rodwhaincamo

The barrel band is part of the mounting system in which the gas block is mounted. If removed a good blow or mishandling from the barrel bottom side would take the stock right off the stock. I found this out the hard way.
Free floating I found will improve accuracy. but the mini has a gas operation rod that contacts the barrel 2/3 the way down the barrel.

They looked good in Star Ship Troopers.

Ed

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The saving grace of the Mini is that it is very consistent for point of impact for the first two or three shots from a cold barrel. It is thus very, very good as a hunting rifle. As noted in a thousand or more posts, it ain't worth a hoot as a benchrest target shooter.

For me as a hunter, then, it is an excellent truck gun for coyotes and jackrabbits and suchlike.

Iron sight placement is superior with the mini14 for obvious reasons. The height of the sights off the barrel allows for close range precision.

Something an ARs iron sights are not to well equipped for.

Skans

The thing that's so aggravating about the Mini is that there's nothing wrong with it that couldn't be fixed with a more extensive redesign than the recent one.

That's a fact! There's nothing wrong with the receiver or fire control parts. Most of the problems stem from the use of a cheap barrel and inadequate gas block. I believe only the older 1st series Mini's use a barrel band - i.e. band that holds the stock to the barrel. I really like the look and feel of a Mini-14 in an attractive aftermarket laminate stock with an upgraded barrel and gas block.

The Mini-14 is one of those rifles that I don't much care for right out of the box, but once it's re-done, I absolutely love them........but hate the price tag.

Vt.birdhunter

Biggest difference I notice between the 2 rifles (I shoot a mini-30 and a Bushmaster C15) is the trigger.
The my ruger travels, travels, travels some more, then breaks in indistinct location (predictable by distance, but not by feel). A buddies mini-30 has a different feel, Ive been told one is older then the other and the factory did produce minis with nice breaking triggers.
My Bushmaster factory trigger breaks a little heavy for a 4 lb rifle, but it is clean and crisp, almost like a bolt action.