Mini-14 vs. Mini-30

SpyGuy

I've been planning to buy a semi-auto, military caliber rifle for past month now and I had pretty much decided on the Mini-14 Ranch (I'm in California so my choices are very limited). But now I'm wondering about the Mini-30.

Can anyone discuss the pros and cons for each of these rifles and their respective calibers. I would like to mount scope so that's definitely a consideration.

Thanks!

1911A1 fan

Spy Guy,both of the mini's are good guns for what they are, not real accurate. But good servicable rifles none the less. If I were you I would get the Mini-30 because mail order rounds by the case REAL cheap.

inGobwetrust

SpyGuy,

I own both and definitely prefer the Mini 14 because the Mini 30 sometimes fails to strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. This has only happened to me with milsurp ammo but it has never happened to the Mini 14 with any ammo. This happens about once in every 20 rounds with some ammo such as Wolf. I tend to prefer much more reliability than that.

The Mini 30 is great with domestic ammo for it's intended purposes and I've had good succes hunting with it but I would not trust my life to it. I wouldn't feel one bit undergunned with my Mini 14 and good mags.

BTW, I really like the Cor-Bon 150 grain 7.62x39 soft-points for deer and smaller game.

J. Parker

With California's limitations I'd go with the Mini-30. Think about the power you'd have on tap. A Mini-30 is like having a semi-automatic 30-30. The 7.62X39 Russian hits alot harder than the .223. Forget the hi-cap stuff. Five plus one of 30-30 power. Good for urban defense and great for takin' to the woods. Just My Thoughts, J. Parker

K

KilgorII

7.62 x 39 inexpensive Wolf ammo (chronoed from my SKS):

123 grain holow point @ 2,483 fps for 1,684 ft/lbs

.223 average bullet:

55 grain bullet @ 3,250 fps for 1,290 ft/lbs

I choose the more powerful gun with cheaper ammo.

BTW, Corbon claims 2,300 fps (from a 20" SKS) with thier 150 grain soft point for 1,762 ft/lbs Would make a good medium game load. I would't use a .223 on anything larger than a coyote... :D (That's sure to raise a hackle or two)

Kilgor

355sigfan

J Parker. The 223 is better at stopping people as was well documented in Vietnam. Why do you think the russians copied us with the AK 74. Also 5 rounds is plain silly in a semi auto rifle. Get a mini 14 if you have to chose between these two carbines. The mini 14 has better more reliable high caps available for it. Save your money and get an AR15 would be an even better choice.
PAT

P

PreserveFreedom

I like the Mini 14 for a couple of reasons. You will have an easier time finding mags. You will also be carrying a lighter cartridge with you. 223 Rem isn't that much more expensive than 7.62x39mm. The biggest concern is the mags though. If you can find some for the Mini 30, then it becomes a matter of which round you prefer.

K

KilgorII

He's in occupied America sigfan, read what he wrote. No AR-15 can be bought in that state :rolleyes:

DougB

I also live in California, and I recently bought a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. I like it, but I think you can make a good case for the Mini-30 as well. A couple of points:

- People (including me) tend to think the 7.62x39 is cheaper than .223. That's true if you are comparing Wolf or other cheap, steel cased 7.62 with brass cased, reloadable .223 (which most people prefer for their ARs, etc.). But if you compare Wolf or other really low-end .223, I don't think there is much of a price difference.

- I suspect that much of the reason the Russians and others have gone to smaller calibers is because they recoil less, making them more controllable in full-auto fire. That doesn't apply here. Ammo is also obviously lighter, but I don't think this is a big issue to most people (unless you plan to carry several hundred rounds). In a really accurate rifle (good AR, for example), the flat-shooting .223 would have an advantage at longer ranges, but I think both the Minis are short to medium range rifles, so I don't see much advantage to the .223.

- The 7.62x39 would be legal for deer hunting if you ever wanted to use it for that.

- I read here somewhere that Mec-Gar is now making good 10-round magazines for the Mini-14 and 30. I don't know where to get them, but this sounds encouraging. I think a 10-round magazine would be about right for the Mini-30, and okay for the Mini-14.

I don't think you'll go far wrong with either choice.

Doug