Mini 14 tips

ChuckC

Yet again I find myself needing assistance. I just purchased a Mini 14 and was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints for cleaning beyond what is in the "manual" that comes with it. I've had it less than 2 weeks and it's already been to the range twice. So far I good with breaking it down into the trigger assembly and receiver/barrel assembly but beyond that I'm more or less...ummm...stupid.

The book that comes with it is OK up to a point but doesn't get into the nuts and bolts, so far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance!

jgcoastie

How's the accuracy with those buggers? There's a lightly used one available locally for $600 with five 30rd mags... Just curious...

Trapp

Just get the AR. I have both and in the end you spend as much as a good AR. Remember, mags go for $30 plus if want reliable ones.

Trapp

While I'm at it, don't break the Mini down further than what you have done. The gas block has torque specs and precise alignment. Put it together wrong and you have a single shot mini or a jamm-o-mattic.

I don't think I have ever fouled my gas system enough to need to beak it down that far...

Swampghost

I can keep everything (5 rds.) inside of 3" @ 100 yds. with the original sights, not bad for an old guy with eye problems. I'm sure that this would tighten up with a scope but couldn't say how much.

Candiru

I just got a new 580-series Mini with a 16.25" barrel and factory flash hider. Using Prvi Partisan 55-grain ammo, I was able to put four shots into a three-inch spread at 100 yards, offhand. I don't usually shoot anywhere near that well, so this group may not represent the rifle's accuracy any more than it reflects my actual skill, or lack thereof. Off a bench, however, about ten rounds of PMC went into a group a little less than 2 MOA.

As you can probably tell, there was no really rigorous accuracy testing done because all I cared about was whether the rifle shot well enough to make any accuracy issues entirely my fault. In this respect, it does far better than expected. Maybe I just got a good one.

pbrktrt

Chuck, go to PerfectUnion.com for any & all mini questions. great bunch of people & they have been through every aspect of the mini platform.

AutoPistola

It's a good website. BTW, one of the things they do to enhance accuracy is retorque the gas block to specs... apparently the factory doesn't always get it quite right.