Mini 14 Ranch Factory Folder question

oldcars

I have a Stainless Ranch Rifle in the 187-83xxx range that has a factory folding stock and I am curious how rare the gun is, and what value it has. I have seen lots of factory folding mini's but never a ranch. It has the sling on the side of the gas block so I believe it's a real Folder,Is that rare or did I not look hard enough at other mini's? the gun is in good shape and the stock is still tight, all original. I don't really want to sell it, but I am trying to buy a fourwheeler and something has to go!, plus I never shoot it much. Any Idea what it would sell for?

KMO

I'm just curious...I've only come across one Mini-14 with the sling ring mounted on the side of the factory gas block. Does that gas block on yours lack the vertical "rib" on the front of it as well? By "rib" I'm describing that metal portion of more current gas block designs that is directly above the bottom-mount sling ring.

McBuck

Sounds factory, but I thought most of those came only on the AC556.:confused: Some of those boys over at perfectunion.com may be able to tell you for sure. Just about all they do is Mini 14's

uncyboo

Give Ruger the serial #. They will tell you what configuration your rifle had when it left the factory. I understand there are quite a few counterfiet Mini folders around.

ranger dave

ruger gb

there are out there i have a ruger gb in blue. with the factory folder. i saw one a the gun shop for $ 700 . there are great guns. the ruger mini is one best 223 semi auto around. you don't get a lot strange looks when you go hunting with a mini like you do with an ar

Celo456

From my research I would say it's fairly rare and is probably worth about $1200.00. Just keep in mind if you wanted to sell it, if you ask 1200.00 you may just get it but will probably have to be somewhat patient. If you ask $900 though it should sell in a heartbeat. I used to work in a pawn shop, so I'm turnover driven :) So just in the case that you find yourself wanting to part with it, you got an ez $950.00

Side mounted sling swivel on the gas block is a Ruger factory item that was provided with guns featuring a folding stock. Congratulations, yours is an original.

BTW, my GB folder (blue) is set up the same way. That's why it's out of state. :( One thing I did to it is to put a shrink wrap on the metal tubular stock. It doesn't interfere with the folding operation and it's nice not to put that cold stock against one's cheek.

oldcars

I like the gun, ( I think I watched "A-team" too much as a kid) but I never shoot it because it's too nice. I plan on replacing it with a blued non-ranch Mini 14 that I can bang around on the fourwheeler, in the truck, etc. I have alot of Magazines, and stocks and other stuff because I have owned several Mini's in the past. I don't really want to sell it, but I am self emlpoyed, the economy is rough right now, and I think if I sold 3-4 guns out of the safe that I never use I would get more enjoyment out of a fourwheeler I would use every day than those guns I never shoot but like to own. I think I will ask around $850 for the gun with some Mags - or - $500 cash + a blued Mini 14 beater.

Skans

I am not aware of any ranch rifles coming with the factory folder. As far as I know, only the AC556 and the Mini-14 GB models came with the factory folders. The internal dimension of the AC556 stock and the GB stock are different. Any mini-14 could drop into an AC556 stock, but not vice-versa without modification.

In fact, any of the mini-14's will drop right into a factory folder. You used to be able to buy the factory folders on ebay for a couple hundered dollars. I suspect that the folder is an add-on to the ranch rifle.

uncyboo

3rd time now, call Ruger. A 20 min phone call could make the difference of a couple hundred bucks in value. To a bona-fide collector, anyway.

oldcars

Well, I just emailed Ruger so I should know within 3 business days. I feel even if the gun is a "fake" (and I don't think it is because of the side sling mount gasblock) a good clean low milage stainless Ranch rifle with high cap mags should be worth $450-500 and the stock alone should be worth $350-400 so asking $850 should be fair no matter what right?

oldcars

I just got the email back from Ruger: Shipped december 1988 with a folding stock. Thanks for all the help guys!