Mini 14 question from a newbie

jetsfan

Ok I have been doing some looking but can't find a definite answer. I recently bought a Mini 14 and have thought about adding a simple scope to it. I have been looking at maybe an Eotech or aimpoint but what I don't know is do you have to add a rail to the mini or is there another way to mount it? Yes I know its a newbie question but I really don't know for sure. Also, I have seen that pro mag magazines are recommended but does anybody have any other 20 rounders they like?
Thanks

hodaka

I assume this is not a ranch rifle since if it were, you would have mounting locations for the rings on top of the receiver. I have a B-Square mount that screws onto a plate that slides in the place where the bolt stop cover goes. Works okay, but not the best. In my experience, a scope only shows you how inaccurate the mini is. If you stick to the factory sites you will not notice the inaccuracy of the rifle. Aftermarket mags are hit or miss. Find factory ones if you can, otherwise, by several then throw away the ones that don't work.

FJR1300

I got an Amegaranges scout mount rail to mount an EoTech on my Mini. Turned out to be a great idea- the clamping action of the mount cut my group size in half and the EoTech is perfect for the Mini (IMO).

Makes for a very quick and fun gun to shoot at any range the Mini is good for. The negatives are extra weight and it screwed up my cheek weld (which is easily remedied).

WhyteP38

For all things Mini, the absolute best place to go is here: http://perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

As for hi-cap mags, I've had the best results with "American Mag" stainless steel mags. Note: These are not the same as "USA" mags, which are more miss than hit.

ProMags never worked for me, even after extensive modifications. However, for some folks the ProMags have been flawless. My advice is see if you can find someone with ProMags in your area that you can borrow. (I specify ProMags because you are much more likely to find someone with them than with American Mags.) If the ProMags work, go with them. If they don't work, consider buying one American Mag. If that works, buy more. If not, send it back for an exchange or a refund.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I disremember the name, but one mount is rigged so that it fits in and replaces the rear sight. There's a screw up front that tightens against the receiver ring. I used that style with a Weaver K4 on all of my Minis. (I kept trading in and out of them; I've had four of them.)

The Minis are fine for hunting, but certainly not the deal for getting tight groups with long strings of fire. Great coyote/jackrabbit guns.

Art

Ruger4570

Unless you have one of the VERY few that shoot worth a Tinkers Damn, don't bother with a scope, it will only frustrate you. At least with the stock sights you can blame it on your eyes or the sights. I have had 3 Mini's so far and none have shot worth scoping them.. LOL. In fact I am trying to sell my 3rd and LAST Mini -14. I don't mean to put down your purchase but I have had all the experience I want with the Mini. I will simply get a bolt action 223 if I want to continue shooting the round. It is too bad Ruger hasn't offered a heavy barreled Mini or at least addressed the LACK of accuracy so many complain about.

T. O'Heir

"...too bad Ruger hasn't offered a heavy barreled Mini..." It's called the Mini-14 Target Rifle. MSRP is $995. Hasn't been around long enough to know if it's actually any better than any other Mini-14. No range reports from anybody but the gun rag writers. Too much money too.
"...thought about adding a..." It have 4 wee screws on top? If so, that's where any scope base gets attached. If not, having it drilled and tapped for a scope mount is pricey. Those receivers are extremely hard. A scope won't make it shoot better either. A scope does nothing but allow you to see the target better. Lets you place the shot more accurately, but if the rifle, any rifle, doesn't shoot well to start with a scope won't fix that. Mini's aren't known for good accuracy.

skinnygun

I have Minis and they shoot quite well for me,other people seem to have trouble with them and its true a AR15 will be more accurate but my Minis will shoot ammo that stalls my AR15s so thats more important to me.

20 rd Mags from Ruger are the BEST!

If your Mini shoots everything without fail and you want to make it the best
contact gundoc at Great West Gunsmithing in Salem Or,

I have a see-thru scope/red dot mount on my Minis connects to the mounts on the Ranch model while still using the rear iron sight.

Attachments

• Mini mount.jpg
    Mini mount.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Mini mount side.jpg
    Mini mount side.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 49

teeroux

make mine a mini

30 that is

dont own a mini 14 though i though this would be a good time to try out my camera.
you can get picantinny rails for your receiver ranch model or not but i like the ruger scope rings.

Attachments

• DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00223.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 48

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If shooting to the same point of aim (give or take maybe an inch) from a cold barrel, every time you go out and shoot, is reasonable accuracy, the Mini is just fine.

If what you want to do is always be able to kill a coyote or jackrabbit out to 100 or 200 yards, the Mini is just about as good as any other rifle ever made.

If you want tight groups on paper, group after group, nope. Don't get a Mini. I wouldn't think of taking a Mini on a prairie dog hunt, either.

:), Art

Manedwolf

I have Minis and they shoot quite well for me,other people seem to have trouble with them and its true a AR15 will be more accurate but my Minis will shoot ammo that stalls my AR15s so thats more important to me.

Well, so will a Saiga 5.56, and it costs a lot less. (And is more accurate!) ;)

Tomac

+1 for the Ultimak for mounting optics on a non-Ranch Mini. Easiest way to shrink group size on the Mini is to have the bbl shortened (bbl harmonics), add the muzzle brake/flash hider of your choice (again, bbl harmonics), have the gas block screws properly torqued & have a trigger job done (+1 for GunDoc on this, he does excellent work). It cut my Mini's group size in half. The ProMag polymer mags are pretty good but require a break-in period before they're fully reliable (the lifetime warranty is very nice if you do have problems). Also, check any mags that you purchase to ensure they lock the bolt back after the last shot. HTH...
Tomac

scsov509

I've tried a few different mounts and have settled on the B-Square for my Mini 14. One of the things I don't like about the handguard style mounts for optics is that Mini's get stinking hot when you fire more than a few round through them.The B-Square sits up above the receiver and doesn't get warm at all.

One suggestion I'd make regardless of what route you go is to spend a few bucks on a recoil buffer and also a different gas bushing. The combination of the two helps to reduce the recoil of the rifle which will make your scope last a lot longer. I know that the recoil of the Mini-14 doesn't feel bad at all, but the way the Mini is constructed allows the slide assembly to slam back metal on metal against the receiver which can in the long run be pretty hard on optics. If you're going to spend the money on optics then a $5-7 recoil buffer and $30 gas bushing kit is well worth the investment in my opinion. Plus the gas bushing change will keep those shooting seven lanes down on the range from getting hit with your spent brass (you Mini owners know what I mean):D.

WhyteP38

Plus the gas bushing change will keep those shooting seven lanes down on the range from getting hit with your spent brass (you Mini owners know what I mean)
+1. With a factory Mini, it's possible to violate interstate commerce laws by launching hot brass across state lines.

I installed a Wolff recoil spring on my Mini-30 and have had flawless function. It is a be-otch to reinstall after cleaning, but it has helped with feeding issues and brass launching.