Mini 14 in 6.8 or Mini 30?

gmarr

Looking to add a Mini to replace the one I sold a while back. As I have an AR in 5.56, and I like both of these calibers, question is which one. I like the Mini platform so no AK or another AR. All you guys with experience with these any help will be appreciated.

Adamantium

The 6.8 is out of production but used ones aren't that hard to find online. There are no factory hi cap mags though, just after market.

I'm a Mini 14 shooter myself but my opinion is the only reason to get a 6.8 is if you are planning on shooting routinely past 150 yards where the trajectory of the 7.62x39mm starts to drop off. Or you really like to reload, which I do so I can understand that as well.

bamaranger

no question

The 6.8 is the more versatile caliber, but uncommon and as noted, out of production. For me, it then would be hands down Mini-30/7.62x39.

Ammo is plentiful, and there are now Ruger made hi-caps that work.

Regolith: although this is only a guess, I suspect that the ammo manufacturer hoped for a military contract, if not much more civilian demand for the round.

Auto426

Regolith: although this is only a guess, I suspect that the ammo manufacturer hoped for a military contract, if not much more civilian demand for the round.

I'm pretty sure that he Bamaranger was referring to the Mini 14 in 6.8 being out of production, and not the actual round itself. You can still buy commercial 6.8mm ammo and firearms, though most of them are AR pattern rifles now.

As for the OP, I'd side with the Mini 30. Cheap Russian steel cased ammo can be found almost everywhere, and the Mini is much less of a crap shoot then most of the AK's in that price range. Plus, Ruger will stand behind the rifle, unlike most AK manufacturers who limit their warranties to 1 year.

tobnpr

My choice would depend on the intended use.
6.8 SPC factory ammo isn't cheap, if you handload I spose it's no different than anything else.

Saw an episode of Guns and Ammo TV where Richard Venola showed off his tricked-out 30 in 6.8, he uses it for P Dogs at 300 yards- and it sits by his front door for SD. For hunting, or where accuracy counts, I'd go with the better ballistics of the 6.8

For plinking, and spray and pray with cheap ammo, you can't beat the 7.62 x 39 as said above.

mySig229

If you really like the 6.8 then get an ACR, not your standard AR platform and one BADASS rifle. (Sorry all you SCAR owners)