Mini-14 for Coyote

Just wanted to know what everyone though about using a scoped Mini for coyote. The only rifles I could use would be my Mini 14 or 30-06 for the day hunting then 10/22 or shotgun for night. 30-o6 would be a little expensive. I took my scope off of my Mini a few years ago and wanna put another 3-9x40 on it. I live in Wva so the 200+ yd shots aren't really there. Think the Mini would be accurate enough? This is also just for pest control, not trying hard to save the pelts. Wouldn't be heart broken if I didn't find one.

hoytinak

I just killed a coyote with my Mini-14 this morning...it was in the back yard messing with my dog. Got a 2-8x scope on it but the shot was only about 45 yards.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Excellent coyote gun. I found that the first shot from a cold barrel always went to the same POI, so it was my "Old Reliable" truck gun. I always used 55-grain soft points. Never had to reach out past 100 yards, FWIW.

A buddy of mine and I did in a world of jackrabbits with our Minis, back around 1980 when there was that incredible population explosion in northern Nevada and SW Idaho.

Bitmap

I live in Wva so the 200+ yd shots aren't really there. Think the Mini would be accurate enough?

Test your mini-14 at 200 yards or whatever the maximum range is you think you'll get a shot, because that is the way you'll know for sure. Try more than one kind of ammo, too, because that makes a big difference. Whatever is the maximum range you can a 6" circle every time with your mini is about the maximum range for you and your rifle on a coyote. I've seen some mini's that wouldn't hold a 6" group consistently at 100 yards and others that were much better.

NRA4life

What the previous posters said. I wouldn't trust mine past 75 yards or so, accuracy-wise. But you always have the "spray and pray" option with the Mini.

Side note, i don't want this to turn into an AR is better than Mini thread. Just want advice as to if the Mini would be good enough for coyote and how to get the most out of it, because its what i have now and dont want to drop more money on another rifle right now. Thanks

Back on topic following the troll bait. My 580 series mini-14 is plenty accurate with iron sights for coyotes. I haven't used it on them yet, but on paper shots 1-5 are good.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Group size beyond three shots is pretty much irrelevant for a hunting rifle. The Mini reliably puts the first shot to the desired POI, week after week after month.

Ol' Wily generally doesn't give you a chance for a second shot...

Mannlicher

I have found that the 45 grain Winchester SP does just fine on Coyotes here in North Florida. My Mini-14 is more than up to the task. Right now I am using a holo sight, not a scope.

Art and others, thank you,
If i had any experience with smithing past bluing and refinishing stocks i would not be hesitating so much and showing my lack of confidence. This is another time where i regret not having a friend who is a machinist. Instead of sending it to some smith, i would at least rather have the person chopping and crowning to show me how to do it so that i have that knowledge. I love to learn, and it could always be useful in the future. Still not sure what i'g going to do yet but either way i will keep everyone posted with the results.

Swampghost

The 5.56 round was originally designed to kill a man @ 400m. so no problem with that. I think that the biggest problem with the Mini is it's light weight which makes it difficult to steady for long range shots and a trigger pull that's like dragging a box of rocks (they may have fixed this in later models).

I'd have no qualms out to 200 yds.