Mini 14 Advice

SCDeac82

Hello Everyone:

Been thinking about a semi-auto Plinking/HD rifle for a while, but price is a consideration.

Have narrowed it down to two choices:
  • Mini 14 Tactical
  • Mini 14 All-Weather
Does anyone own either model?

Suggestions for optics? Impressions?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

JB

thesheepdog

Hello Everyone:

Been thinking about a semi-auto Plinking/HD rifle for a while, but price is a consideration.

Have narrowed it down to two choices:
Mini 14 Tactical
Mini 14 All-Weather
Does anyone own either model?

Suggestions for optics? Impressions?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

JB

Get the tactical version. Much better handling with better accuracy than the standard length barrels. You'll lose some range, but, maybe a 100 yards.

As far as optics, a 30mm scope, 2-5X should be an awesome setup. Or, get just a standard red-dot. I wouldn't get a huge scope, otherwise you're defeating the purpose. But, again, a 100 yard scope (2-5X, 30mm objective) would be a very sweet setup!

Post pics when you get one.

KMO

The tactical is a good choice, but be aware that Ruger has marketed two different versions of the Tactical Mini-14. One has the ATI folding stock, and the other has the Hogue polymer stock. I chose the latter with the factory flash hider, and I'm very pleased with it. Right out of the box it has been accurate...dare I say...as accurate as any AR-15 out there. I did put a Mo-Rod on it, but I probably won't modify it further since it's performing well. I went with a red dot sight made by TruGlo for an optic. It's not their cheapest model...paid a little over $100 for it, and I'm pleased with it too. I mounted the red dot on a B-Square see-under rail so I can retain the use of my iron sights too. I like the set up...;)

rduckwor

"Mo-Rod" or Accu-Strut are barrel stabilizers that clamp onto the gas block and are attached to the barrel with a couple of clamps. They look like a gas tube on an M14. They act to stabilize barrel whip and change barrel harmonics thus usually increasing accuracy on a Mini 14. If you wind up with a tactical, shoot it first before investing money in a stabilizer. The newer tacticals are reported to be more accurate than the older ones.

SCDeac82

Right, thanks Duck.

I just realized KMO left a web address for it.

They look pretty sharp.:cool:

My understanding is that Ruger now has a thicker barrel, which enhances accuracy vs. previous models.

Can't wait to get one!

JB

riverwalker76

Get the Tactical model. The 16 1/4" barrel really makes a difference in accuracy. No need for an Accustrut unless you just want it for cosmetics.

Also ... do yourself a favor and DO NOT shoot 55 gr. ammo out of them. They HATE 55 gr. ammo. I've owned mine for 5 months, and it loves 62gr. to 69 gr. bullets. If you reload yourself ... this is a plus. I load up anything that is cheap between those two weights, and I'm good to go.

SCDeac82

Interesting points on the ammo.

I have heard that for some reason the boatails don't perform as well in the Mini.

JB

Bamashooter

the 60gr. sierra bullets i use arent boat tail and they shoot better groups than the 69gr.smk's. dont really know why, i was very suprised to find that out. i think past 100yrds. the smk's would out perform the 60gr. varmiter's.

KMO

KMO: What is a "mo-rod?"

Below is my factory Tactical with the Mo-Rod installed. Some say it isn't needed on the newer barrels, but I'm not complaining about my results. It'll stay put...;)

Mo-Rod006.jpg

NooYawkuh

I'll go contrarian here ... I went with the A-W Ranch and I'm glad I did. I really like the stainless steel. It's not a polished or satin finish, more like a low-luster tumble finish but I really like it.

Another thing I notice about Tactical Minis I see (and hear) at the range - They are noticeably louder because of the shorter barrel.

Either way, plan on being more pleased than you expected to be. :D

Irish80prf

SMK-Sierra Match King. I had an old mini that I didn't like one bit, but I've heard the new ones are a ton better. Mine was a pretty old one I bought used. The gun worked perfectly, it just wasn't as accurate as I would have liked. I think I expected more from it then I should have. I kind of wish I still had it to plink with now that I reload. Enjoy.

WagonM

I have the 580 series tactical model (polymer stock + bird cage), good nuff and shoot better than me plinker. I love popping cans, jugs and golf balls at 85 yd.. I'm not into target shooting nor have any plan to, the 580 mini-14 serves me just PERFECT.

I do not have a strut, but I did give it a cryo treatment .. not that my 580- needs it, just that there is no down side to give it a cryo..

Single Six

As usual,I'm coming in late to this discussion,but here goes..First,the Ruger Mini-14 in any guise is a very reliable rifle,not to mention pretty rugged. I'm sure that more folks own ARs than Minis,and to each their own. But for me,you just can't go wrong with a Mini. Ruger's website,Ruger.com,should say whether the model you want comes in blued or not. Meanwhile,"Cryo" refers to a process known as cryogenic freezing. It is supposed to make your rifle more accurate,but I have no personal experience with it and can make no judgments on it...and another TFL member with a better understanding of it than mine can probably explain it much better. I just know that it's not something you can accomplish at home with your freezer! Good luck.

zombieslayer

Not sure on the ss tactical but I have seen a deluxe wood-stocked Tactical mini. I'm building a custom mini right now from a base malmart model. It came with a nice looking wood stock and I'm having the barrel cut, recrowned, and threaded. Also gonna send the trigger off. Love my tactical, its the one with the threaded barrel and its really accurate.

Last edited:

rickyrick

Go for the tactical, I have a ranch and it could benefit from a muzzle brake.

get ya some good ear muffs at times the mini is louder than 30 cals or 12ga