min shot size for hogs?

stegar1

I am hunting on public Lands and Texas has some shot size restrictions.

the regulations read " non toxic shot OR no larger than # 4 lead shot"

you can not use buck shot or slugs after next week.

i am not very familar with any of the " t" shot or "bb" sizes. other than buck or slug what would be the best iyo ?

MLeake

If what you are posting is accurate (not trying to insult you, I just haven't seen the regs - you might add a link to your OP), then I'd suggest getting a rifle or a .44magnum/.45Colt or larger revolver. I wouldn't go after hogs with buckshot, let alone #4.

A .22 will do it, if you hit them in the right spot near the ear, but otherwise you want big and heavy.

stegar1

it is shot gun only. i have taken a few with buck shot this year already. all of the shots are with in 30 yrds or so.

Doyle

It looks like TX law for public lands (at least as it applies to this particular public land) is similar to other states. They consider public land hogs to be "small game" and as such you must use "small game" weapons and loads. In states like GA, the small game loads also include rimfire rifles,archery and muzzleloaders. I'm suspecting TX is the same. That presents a problem when the particular place you want to hunt also includes a "shotgun only" limitation. What you are left with is the only legal weapon happens to be insufficient for the job at hand. Sure, you can kill a hog with #4 shot (basically a squirrel load) but you need to be VERY close and shoot it behind the ear.

The other viable option you might have is archery. Many of the public lands that are "shotgun only" have an archery exception.

wpcexpert

Well, if the regs say "no larger than No.4 shot", then that rules out "T" or BB shot.

If all I could use was #4 shot, and really wanted to kill a hog, then I would buy some 3.5in #4 Turkey Load and get real close...real close, less than 15 yds and shoot it in the neck...right behing the jaw.

Last edited:

stegar1

it says " non toxic OR no larger than # 4 lead shot. so the way i take it is if i can find non toxic shot smaler than buck im golden. i just dont know other than buck, what would be the next best thing?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Sounds like the shotguns will get a rest... Nothing larger than #4 rules out hoggin'...

Brent

Doyle

it says " non toxic OR no larger than # 4 lead shot. so the way i take it is if i can find non toxic shot smaler than buck im golden

Could you post the full rule. That "OR" thing looks a little funky. Going by just what you quoted, a BB sized waterfoul (non toxid) load would be the biggest you would find. I find it odd they they would limit lead to #4 but not non toxic.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
No way I'd hunt hogs with birdshot of any kind. No way. It shouldn't even be legal. You will NOT reliably kill them. Even at point blank range it would be questionable.

Use a bow.

wpcexpert

Even at point blank range it would be questionable.

LOL, I'm sure that was an exageration. A 3.5 in Turkey laod of #4 would kill just about anything at 10 feet or less.

Anyway, if the non toxic thing sticks you could try this:
Non-Toxic 00Buck

Last edited:

MLeake

wpcexpert, I've personally witnessed a hog run off a few hundred yards after a good broadside hit with a 12ga slug.

I've witnessed another that took a .44 behind the shoulder from a Marlin 94, that ran off into the brush. We had to go in after it. Coup de grace to the head did the trick. During butchering, first bullet was found in the shoulder cartilage, and had never penetrated further. (240JHP, which the shooter used against the rest our our advice.)

I've witnessed another one get dropped by a spinal shot with a crossbow; hunter administered a .357 coup de grace with a S&W 60, then turned around to get a picture. Hog tried to get up (only its front legs worked) and he had to shoot it behind the ear a second time. I didn't know that guy, and have no idea what .357 loads he was using.

So, unless the distance was close enough that the shot group hadn't spread appeciably, I wouldn't necessarily trust a 3.5' turkey load.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It was not an exaggeration but thinking you'd be reliably shooting them at point blank range would be foolish, even if the round WOULD be effective. Bird shot is for birds, turkey loads are for turkey.
Hunting hogs with bird shot would be unethical. Turkey loads or not. I wouldn't bet money on an effective kill on a good sized hog if the barrel was touching it's chest.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
If yer gonna hunt with birdshot from any length hull and wait until they are close enuff to make the "one ragged hole" entry wound... would you do me the favor of recording this from as many angles as possible... :eek:

I always love to laugh at the misery and mistakes of others...:D

Brent

stegar1

never said i would hunt with bird shot. .... was just asking what is, iyo, the smallest shot size to use. the reg is on pg 34 of te 2011-2012 Texas public lands map book. under the legal game section. i do not know/ have never seen-shot "t" shot or "bb" shot. i know these are non toxic. iyo would they be big enough?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
never said i would hunt with bird shot. .... was just asking what is, iyo, the smallest shot size to use. the reg is on pg 34 of te 2011-2012 Texas public lands map book. under the legal game section. i do not know/ have never seen-shot "t" shot or "bb" shot. i know these are non toxic. iyo would they be big enough?

No!

I'm not up on shot types but I believe "t shot" is made of tungsten maybe.

Regardless, no, bird shot is NOT sufficient for hogs.

Daryl

"t" or "BB" in a non-toxic "heavishot" type load would be better than #4 lead, but I'm not sure how much better.

I have an idea or two of how I'd handle the situation and stay legal, but I'm not sure the practice would be appropriate on an internet board. Let's just say I had a lot of fun experimenting with shotguns and such when I was young and foolish.

Daryl