Millet adjustable sights durability/adjustability?

jmstr

I want to put new sights on my pistols. I will put night sights on one and adjustable sights on the other. For the adjustable sights, I was considering Millets, but don't know anything about their durability or adjustability. Do any of you know how well they hold up to day in/out hardball loads, or any others? Also, I know the stock sights on my Ruger GP100 revolver claim each 'click' equals 1/4 inch at 25 yards. What type of adjustment do the Millets provide?

The last question I have is "Is there any reason NOT to get the Millet adjustable tritium sights, instead of the basic or white outline?" I just like the idea that any pistol I have would be equally easy/difficult to aim at night. Thanks for any/all insight you can provide.

birdman

I have had Millet adjustable sights on my 4 5/8" SBH .44 Mag for about 15 years. If they were in the least fragile believe me this "hogleg" would have destroyed them. I've shot a pickup load of Mr. Keith's recipe and have never had a problem with the sights eventhough I did shake the silver soldered ejector nut loose from the barrel once. What a surprise the ejector assembly shot loose from the barrel with the screw and nut still attached. Left me with a plug out of the outside of my barrel.

kumma

i had a millet white outline rear adjustable sight on my browning hp, i say had becasue it decided to depart from the slide one day at the range, this was after less the 500 rounds. i dont know if it was due to gunsmith error or product quality problem, but i do know im going back to fixed sight. less to worry about. fwiw thats my experience with their products.

GW45

I have Millet sights on both my full size and compact Springfields - Dual Crimp Front-Sight Posts on the front and Millet Fixed in the rear (went all black, no dots or lines) and have had no problem with either of them.

Very nice to have the sights the same on both guns.......

GW45

fastbolt

The model of Millett sight I used for a while was built like a tank. It was also only adjustable for windage. As far as "fit" went, you could lightly tap it into the Novak style rear dovetail with only plastic mallet, and that was on 2 different pistols. Fortunately, the set screw is also appropriately stout, uses a larger size allen wrench, and never came loose under the recoil of .45 ACP.

I only quit using them because I went to a Novak Ghost Ring rear sight, with tritium capsule, which gives me a "faster" dot-over-dot night sight, and for less than 25 yards I find the ghost sight set up very quick and easy to use. At 25-75 yards, it takes a little more effort to nail the smaller pepper poppers, but it's still possible with a steady hand and good trigger control.

I wouldn't have any qualms about going back to the Millett's, if I needed an adjustable sight, but I WOULD get one of their tritium capsule models the next time ...

I think they're a quality sight ...

http://www.millettsights.com/

Last edited:

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Hey, Fastbolt!

Thank you for that link, eh? I tried to find "Millet" sights last evening on the internet instead of "Millett." No wonder I didn't find what I was looking for!

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Yeah, well... not only that, but I called the good folks at Millett this morning, and ordered a replacement Python rear sight. The receptionist was very pleasant and professional, and the fellow I spoke with had all the facts at his finger tips. The rear sight even includes the pin. Hah!

TheFiringLine.com is one of the most useful sites on the interent--and what a great bunch of people!