military surplus AR's for sale...?

bamaranger

I am on my way to look at what is being advertised as "military surplus" AR rifles. A LGS has a dozen or so flat top, DPMS receiver, 16" HB'd w/ front sight tower w/ carbine handguards, AR type rifles, for $430.00 a piece. They are cosmetically rough. The bores were unclean, boy said to dirty to tell much. I have not seen them yet, bamaboy has.

Nobody at the store (at the time) could elaborate on the rifles history. I am inclined to believe they are LE rifles, not really mil-surp......unless they came in from a security or contractor outfit...I dunno.

At what might I be looking ??? Anybody seen anything like this advertised in Shotgun News or any of the other wholesale outfits?

Andrewh

there is discussion on these on other forums
basically not likely, and don't bother.

these are not that great, and for a few bucks more you can buy new ones.

Palmetto state armory has some 4th deals going now, where you could pretty much put together a new one for right at 500.

Ridge_Runner_5

They're definitely not military surplus. The US government buys from Colt and FN, and none of them will be made available since they are always select fire.

Sounds like just marketing. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used DPMS rifle. The quality just isn't there.

tahunua001

there are special circumstances where they could be civilian milsurp. for instance:
Camp Allen Marine base in Norfolk VA, has a civilian run indoor firing range. the Navy uses it to facilitate small arms training for sailors who can't get into the sometimes overly crowded military run ranges. they use civilian M9s and Bushmaster X15s for their M9 and M16/4 qualifications courses. those rifles are not military issue or military surplus but they are run hard by the military for training purposes.

if that's what those DPMS are then I wouldn't want one, not because it was a DPMS but because those things are never maintained and untold hundreds of people have handled those things, many of which improperly.

bamaranger

look see

Well I took a look at them. Cosmetically pretty rough. LOTS of sand in some of them. Some appeared to have been shot a bit, but internally, not a lot of wear on any of them. NONE were cleaned or lubed and they were sticky and gritty when cycled by hand.

A mixture of the 203 grenade launcher profile barrels, and heavy barrels. All flat tops, with a sight tower.

QUESTION: Are DPMS barrels chromed? It appeared some of these carbines were pitted at the muzzle.

Staff were a bunch of young guys who just didn't seem to give a hoot, but one volunteered they were "contractor" rifles. ......Oh yeah, no exchange, no return.

Cost was $429.00 plus tax

tahunua001

QUESTION: Are DPMS barrels chromed? It appeared some of these carbines were pitted at the muzzle.
more often than not they are not chromed. they make them(or did at one point) but they really drive up the cost of the rifles.

marine6680

They could be mil uppers on a civy lower... But I doubt it.

In north bama... Makes me wonder where you are exactly.

Pass on them and buy new from PSA for $75 more.

krinko

I bought one---

409604808.jpg

409628632.jpg

409628633.jpg

The scuffed-up MARS was bought because it looks like it ought to be on there---it sure wasn't included in the price of the rifle.
As mentioned above, scuffs, dings, bumps and scrapes on the outside and almost new bits on the inside. Upper and lower fit together tighter than my M&P did when it was new.
The barrels are stainless steel---going on the basis of the very weak reaction to a magnet. (Magnet is attracted but will not stay stuck.) Mine had a couple spots of rust on the outside of the barrel, inside the handguard. About what you might expect from untended drops of sweat.
As for the inside of the barrel, no bore defects at all.

A fine red powdery dust in every nook and cranny---if this is sand, I can't see the grains.
Absolutely in need of detail cleaning and lubrication. A couple in our first twelve had broken dust cover springs, a couple were missing the tiny set screw in the rear sight elevator. Nothing serious.

Here is the first and worst Fig 14 target at 100 yards, using the MARS and TW M193 from 1974---

409628634.jpg

I felt every one of the perimeter shots, as I made mistakes getting used to the rifle and MARS. The one in the mouth was a double and my fault.

Here is third and best, using RORG 62g---

409628629.jpg

Second target was shot twelve times by two other people on the line---so twenty two holes and not much good as a reference.

Since then, I have had her out shooting at steel a couple times. The MARS 100 yard zero works at center of mass for the 200 and 300 yard gongs. The 400 yard gong needs a 12:00 hold.
She works well with XM855---which the Tavor doesn't like---19/20 on the 300 yard gong.
I am very happy I bought this one but I got to take it apart at the shop---as did all of the buyers---and that is important, if you want to spot wear or damage.
-----krinko

Based on what I've read from peole who bought one, these DPMS carbines have SOC markings - which is a British security contractor who hired Ugandans for base security in different parts of the Middle East including Iraq.

krinko

What is an SOC mark?
In the photos I put up, you can see every mark on the thing except "DPMS 5.56 1 in 9" which is on the bottom of the barrel.
-----krinko

Brotherbadger

Personally, i'd pass unless you like cleaning up old guns(nothing wrong with that, btw). You can get a new one from PSA for dirt cheap right now.

If it was, say $330, i'd jump all over it. But at $450 it just doesn't seem like much of a deal in today's market.

Boncrayon

A military surplus firearm is most probably over used and has had rough times in the field. There's a reason they are offered to the public through a wholesale buyer. For the price, you could build a new AR-15, and have a lifetime of shooting fun with a fraction of used parts like military chamber, action, bore and worn finish.

jmr40

Back in the late 80's or early 90's there were some military surplus parts floating around dirt cheap. A buddy of mine bought some and built one on a DPMS lower. I ended up buying it from him in 1994 before the AWB, my 1st AR. Strictly A-2 configuration, even with a triangle forend. The external finish was ROUGH. Much worse than the photos posted above. Supposedly the parts were from Israel's armed forces. But everything worked fine and it was quite accurate. I ended up spray painting it green camo. Looked respectable for very little money.