Military Rifle Question

Lurch37

Ok, call me an idiot but, I have several military rifles, and most have two sets of upper sling mounting hooks or whatever you call them. Like the Garand has two, the M1A has two, I think the Smith Corona has two, etc. These are where the sling wraps through and these rifles have two sets on the upper part of the stock.

What use does the second sling hook have, or is it just an option to use one or the other?

moose fat

Stacking Swivel, the one nearest the muzzel is called a stacking swivel. Ever see the old moveis with the pup tents and the rifles out front all leaning together like a T Pee frame?

Slamfire

I am quite certain the stack swivel was removed from the M14. I have handled originals, and M1a's, and have not found one. It was useless and added weight.

xtargeeter

When I went through basic (mumble, mumble) years ago, we trained on the M-14. To stack arms, one guy shortened his sling to form a loop near the front sling swivle and 2 or 3 guys would put their barrells in the loop. It worked. There was no stacking swivle on the M-14's as far as I know.

MTMilitiaman

When I went through basic (mumble, mumble) years ago, we trained on the M-14. To stack arms, one guy shortened his sling to form a loop near the front sling swivle and 2 or 3 guys would put their barrells in the loop. It worked. There was no stacking swivle on the M-14's as far as I know.

That is how it is currently done with the M16.