Military Primers

JMP

I just bought an AR10 in .308 and it's my first AR type rifle. A friend that has a lot of experience with ARs said there is special primers for these rifles - they're harder so slam firing doesn't happen. He thought large rifle magnum were similar but not exactly the same. He told me he knew of CCI #34 but didn't know of others. I'd like to be able to buy primers locally but will order if I have to.
Anybody know of other military type primers or other info?

Roughedge

They sell primers for military rounds but I have never tried them. I use CCI regular primers and have never had any problems. The AR-10 is a great gun but even reloading it can get costly if you play a lot.

Slamfire

Only one American primer maker makes the claim that their primer is "mil spec", and that is CCI. The CCI #34 and the #41 are their mil spec primers. These numbers, #34 and #41 are in fact primer numbers that I have found on military drawings.

The Tula 7.62 is sold as a "mil spec" primer. I ran a primer test with all my rifle primers and you can see the comparison here. Plus the link to the Graf's table which compares primers.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471454&highlight=tula

Primers are made less sensitive through a combination of harder cup, anvil angles, differences in primer composition. There may be more, but those are not referenced in the popular literature.

As an idea of primer mixes, this came from a Government document. The FA70 was an old Government primer, the other mixes, I don't remember. Most were experimental, maybe all.

PrimerCompositions.jpg

I know CCI standard primers have hard cups though CCI said that they fall into the commercial primer sensitivity range.

I would not use Federals, standard, magnum, match, in any mechanism with a free floating primer. Federals are the most sensitive primer on the market and the most slam firing primer ever in Garands/M1a's.

I do not recommend Winchester. The nickle plated WLR was excellent but in 1999 Winchester redesigned their line and made their primers more sensitive. There are now reports of Winchester slamfires in Garands.

I have never used Remington but hopefully others will comment.

In my opinion, go buy CCI #34's or the Tula 7.62. The Tula were a very good price and shot very well.

hodaka

I agree with Slamfire. For what it's worth, I ran all brands of primers that I could find through my AR10 and never noticed a difference. Great rifle.

Now days I use CCI 34's for most of my rifle loads and the BR primers for the one hole guns that I have.

medalguy

+1 on the Tula ( Wolf ) primers. Same primers just marketed under different names. They are indeed harder and work very well with autoloaders.

lockinload

I'm not sure about the Tulas but Wolf makes a separate small rifle primer for 223 and is labeled on the box. I recently bought some but have yet to load any.