Military Members & Magazine Capacity in California?

ScottRiqui

One of my sailors asked me about her upcoming transfer to California and I couldn't find a definitive answer for her.

She has a Springfield XD, and its magazines are higher-capacity than California allows. I found a simple answer on the CA DOJ website - "high-capacity" magazines may not be brought into California, but I couldn't find anything one way or the other about whether there's an exemption for military members transferring under PCS orders.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Scott

baldeagl1

Handgun Laws for New California Residents
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

* Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.
* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

or
* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.
Assault Weapon and Large Magazine Capacity Regulations

Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia. I doubt there are any exemptions for members of the military.

BillCA

There is no military exemption.

Tell her to buy some 10-round magazines and bring those into state with her. I would store the original magazines with someone trustworthy until her station assignment changes again to a more friendly state.

That said... with the recent McDonald decision, it may only be a few more years before the 10-round limit is overturned or with drawn. Lots of work to do with CA laws but some sucesses may be seen by 2012.

ohen cepel

When I have been sent to ny or md I had to leave all my full cap mags and certain weapons out of state.

She needs to buy the neutered magazines and make a note in her mind to not return to california if she can help it.

ohen cepel

If you can change it back to a normal cap magazine then it's a no-go. She needs to buy the neutered magazines as I understand it.

I have done this move several times over the years to a pinko state and it's been a pain every time!