Military Brass

4runnerman

Wondering how many people reload military brass for their own guns?. I shoot 223 and reload it all the time and have never had a issue with it. Is it common pratice or am i odd duck out on this one. I have noticed no difference in accuracy or case life.
The crimped primer is a flsh to clean out for a new primer and all else seems to be the same...

jman841

I use mil brass for .308 and .223. works great just make sure you take the crimp out. Some of the brass will accept primers but some will not or will accept it but wont seat 100% properly. It doesnt take to long to take the crimps out.

DiscoRacing

I have at least 4,000 rds of military .223... I use it all the time... never had a problem with it...seems more durable than commercial brass.

Slamfire

US military brass is usually quite excellent. I have LC69 30-06 where the flash hole is off center. Still it shoots well, the pockets don't open up, and the case is of proper ductility.

I think the best US military brass was made in the early 60's. Before the ammunition depots were closed down and the ones that were left (LC) became Government owned and contractor operated facilities.

I have used LC 308 brass of all vintages and it is good stuff. I have shot lots of LC .223 brass. It is of excellent quality, durable, and the pockets don't open up after a few reloads.

medalguy

I also load many military calibers: 308, 223, 45, 9, 38, 30-06 and I prefer US military brass if I can possibly find it. Milsurp brass is thicker and lasts longer than commercial brass.

bbqncigars

Milsurp is the way to go for stuff you shoot a lot of. Initial brass prep can be a little tedious, but it will last a long time after that. Just be wary of brass from a MG. They can be a bit over size.

chris in va

No problems with the 72, 78 and 88 HXP 30-06 I find at the range. I'm still reloading the 72 stuff from the CMP when I bought my Garand.

FrankenMauser

It's a fairly common practice.

I reload with some military brass for 9mm Luger, .30-06, and .243 Win (formed from 7.62x51mm - for the hell of it).

Within my family, you'll also find .358 Win (formed from 7.62x51mm), .45 Auto, and boatloads of .223 Rem/5.56x45mm. (I believe there are a few more, but can't think of them at the moment.)

I don't actually know a reloader that doesn't use at least some military brass.

Xfire68

I just started loading .223 and I am using one fired Military brass and aside from not getting the full 1k I ordered (Got 911) the primer pocket removal job was good and there were only 15 that had major dents in the shoulders and could not be used. All in all great brass!

m&p45acp10+1

I pick up a handfull of it in .223 every time I go the range. I reform it to .221 rem fireball. Strangely enough of the .223 brass I reform I get the most reloads from the LC stuff. The RP is thinner and splits after a couple of times. The LC stuff I can get 5 or more.
While it does not last like the .221 RP brass does the price differance makes up for it. (45 cents for RP .221 Fireball, LC .223 with primer pocket already decrimped free:D)