Military 5.56

INGunGuy

I know that primers are crimped in the 5.56 NATO ammo, what do I need to buy to be able to reload this brass? I just got a good deal on 5000 rounds of 5.56 linked ammo and am going to want to reload it after I run it thru my AR...

INGunGuy

DaveInPA

You'll need to either ream or swage the crimp out. If you have 5,000 pieces of brass to process, your only real option is the Dillon Super Swage. It's 90 bucks but it is worth EVERY penny. It is by FAR the quickest option and it does the best job.

INGunGuy

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. I am going to start to fire off this ammo... BTW, since I have to De-Link all this ammo before running thru my AR, anyone have any suggestions to make it an easier process?

INGunGuy

tom234

You can always just use a Lyman primer pocket reamer on several hundred cases that you plan on reloading then save the other cases for your gold pile.

PCJim

Dave, I've been considering getting the Super Swage unit myself. A question for you - do you have to sort the brass by headstamp/lot and adjust the unit for each, or is it a one-time adjustment that accommodates all of the different lots of brass? Thanks.

totalloser

Don't hesitate. Get the swager. You do not need to readjust the swager once set. All primers will be the same depth. The Dillon one requires no adjustment that I am aware of, but I use the RCBS. 5k is just too many to not use a swager.

Most 5.56 primer pockets will not need a decrimp, set the decap to just barely push the primer out, and the ones that need a decrimp (swage/ream) will stay in. SAVE A TON OF TIME. Only like 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 have a crimp that actually does anything. And sorting will not find which ones.

Arquebus

I bought one of the RCBS Primer Pocket Swagers a few years back, for a cheap price at a gun show, just in case I ever needed one. Have never had a need for it, but have recently bought a Mini 14 so there's a chance I may run into some mil-surp ammo at some point I'd want to reload. Does the RCBS unit work as well as the Dillon?

vranasaurus

Everything I have read says that the Dillon Super Swage is much faster and easier to use than the RCBS. That is why I have decided to get the Dillon instead of the RCBS.

totalloser

The Dillon appears to be a little easier to use, and doesn't occupy the press. So you can decap on the press, then swage on the Dillon without fooling with the die/shellholder. Basically it makes it easy to decrimp in one pass using only one press.

I wouldn't bother getting the Dillon if you already have the RCBS unless you are doing thousands of shells.