Mild .270 suggestions.

redline494

Long story. My brother in law is too cheap to buy my niece a rifle for deer hunting.
Last season, I let her use my daughters .243, as she (my daughter) was not elligible for the youth hunt here, and not using it at that time.
Well, this season she will be. So, I offered to let her use my .270, as it's the smallest rifle I own aside from the aforementioned .243.
I would rather try to load something a bit less stout than what I typically shoot, as she is 13 (She does excell at basketball, softball and other sports, so shes pretty strong). She had no issues with factory .243 Federal loads.

I would also prefer to do this without having to purchase any extra components.
I have Barnes TTSX 130gr bullets.
Powders listed in the Barnes, Speer, Hornady and Nosler .270 data that I have are :
Reloder 19
Reloder 22
IMR 4350
IMR 4064
IMR 7828

Start powder grains vary as much as 5gr. on the IMR 4350 from manufacturer to manufacturer.

So, anyone have any "mild" load data with any of the components I already have they would be willing to share to give me a starting point?

Longest shot distance she would be taking is in the 75-100 yard range.

603Country

I used to use a mild load using IMR 4064, though I can't remember the exact charge weight. And a lighter bullet, like the 110 gr Nosler Accubond would help reduce recoil.

Economist

47 grains of 4064 under a 130 grain bullet gave me 2800 fps from a 22 in barrel. Recoil was somewhat less than factory loads.

Clark

2875 fps from a 22" barrel with 130 gr ballistic tips made them fall down at 400 yards, every time.
In an ultra light rifle, sometimes you must go wimpy to get accuracy.

5whiskey

I would suggest a lighter bullet if you're trying to make the 270 really mild. If you think she could handle something near minimum charge then go for it with the 130s. Much easier to reduce recoil with a lighter bullet than a lighter charge though.

briandg

Just a point, lighter bullets do work to reduce recoil, but slower powders do also, and maybe a low load of 4350 and a 130 bullet will do as well as you can expect. It may work, as you might not get any significant recoil reduction beyond what you accomplish. Just for example, my 100 grain .243 loads at about mid load not only are pretty pleasant to shoot, but strange as it may sound, that powder charge doesn't even warm up the brass.

FiveInADime

I can't give any specific examples but H4895 should be a versatile powder for light loads (Given that it's said to be safe to load at 60% of max loads).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

redline494

Thanks for the input guys.
Im going to load up a couple with the 47 grains of 4064 and see how they "feel" to me.
If all else, I guess I will spring or some H4895 and some lighter bullets for her.
No chance I could get my cheapskate brother in law to pony up.

SSA

47 grains of 4064
With a 130 gr bullet, that's a max load in my Speer book. With the 130 Barnes, it's close to max on the Hodgdon site.
A mild load might be in the 40 to 43 gr range.

redline494

SSA, your right.
I just looked in my Speer book also.
Minimum load for 4064 with Speer data is 43gr., Hornady is 41.6gr, and Barnes has no data for 4064 with 130gr bullets.
The main rason I asked is I have not been reloading for all that long (2 years) and have not "strayed" too far out of any published load data.
If all else, I will try the youth load data for the H4895 and some lighter bullets.

jmr40

The only downside to using copper bullets in reduced loads is that they often don't expand unless pushed fast. If you're not going to shoot them fast I'd look for a softer bullet designed to expand at slower speeds.

Pathfinder45

I was thinking the same thing about those copper bullets. I would just get some Sierra or Speer 130 grain conventional bullets and experiment with 4895 or 4064 powders, at the starting loads, of course.

Tsquared

You also may want to go down to 110 -115 grain bullets. The lower weight bullets are usually used in 6.8SPC but they are .277 and can be loaded into 270WIN. A spire point or soft point will expand at the slower speeds and makes a good deer round.

jersurf101

My accuracy load in mg .270 is a 130 gr Sierra gk over 48.2 grab,a of IMR 4064. Recoil is not that stout so a mix to low level 4064 loading should be good.

RC20

I can't give any specific examples but H4895 should be a versatile powder for light loads (Given that it's said to be safe to load at 60% of max loads).

Hogden very specifically says that 4895 is approved for those very low loads (per the 60% above)

Its one of the few powders approved for it.

That's would be where I start, all copper of course wants high velocity so another bullet choice but I think you can get mild enough in the 130 bullets and you can use them as well.

It sounds like you should adopt your niece. I think at 13 they can make choices?

T. O'Heir

Her size and strength mean little. Had a short statured female Army Cadet, years ago that could out shoot most of the 6' yard apes with no fuss. Using A No. 4 Lee-Enfield(.303 Brit) or a C1A1(7.62/.308). What does matter is how the rifle fits her. Otherwise, it won't make a lot of difference what bullet she uses. Put a slip on recoil pad on if necessary. Adds about an inch to the LOP though.
"...vary as much as 5gr..." Varies that and more with every powder. Data in manuals applies to the components, firearm and conditions on the day of the test only. A half grain difference is nothing to worry about.
Anyway, Barnes' site gives 49.1(2802 fps) to 54.5(3110 fps) of IMR4350 for a 130 grain bullet. Your only other option is to buy some 110's or 120's. Bambi won't care.