Mil Dot Scopes

SIMP

Hi,
I am buying a new scope from a local dealer and he only has the scope that I want in a mil dot. I need this scope quickly so I am thinking about buying it from him. Does the mil dot intersection function just as a normal simple crosshair reticle when zeroing it in? I just want to make sure that even though it has the mil dots, it will function as a normal crosshair scope would if I choose to not utilize the mil dot system. From what I can tell, it does but when trained on the mil dot system, the mil dots can help on longer shots.

I appreciate the help as this is something I am ignorant about. Thank you.

boltgun71

Yes it should certainly function just like a standard duplex reticle for zeroeing and shooting. A standard mil-dot reticle has the dots above, below, and to the sides of the standard crosshair in the center so it should be just like shooting a standard crosshair in a typical scope.

You very well may grow fond of the mil-dot reticle and learn to use them for hold-offs at varying ranges or for range estimation. IMO if you dont ever use the mil-dots it wont hurt or hinder your shooting, but if you do learn to use them, then it can only help you.

SIMP

@ boltgun71: Thank you very much for your reply. I purchased the scope and they mounted it plus bore sighted it for me. Can't wait to use it. Happy New Year!