Midlength Rock River carbine (AR15) pics

Zak Smith

I recently got this Rock River carbine together. It's based on a RRA 16" stainless 1:8" twist upper, with a mid-length gas system and handguards I had a local gunsmith turn down the barrel profile (from about 0.9" under the handguards to around 0.75") to reduce weight. He also bead-blasted the finish.

Rear BUIS is the ARMS #40-A2. Optic is the Aimpoint M2 on a Knights cantilever mount. Trigger group is a JP single-stage 4#. Stock is a Magpul M93A.

[ link to larger image ]

[ link to larger image ]

[ link to larger image ]

Zak Smith

No idea on the weight. My bathroom scale isn't cooperating today. It's going to be a little heavier than an M4.

I might haul off and paint the barrel the next time I'm on an Aluma-Hyde II spree:
130_3046_img.jpg

130_3097_img.jpg

nssa4914

I'm stuck betweeen the RRA Elite CAR A4, and Bushmasters version. Both are within a few dollars of each but you get a better trigger with the RRA, any suggestions?

Zak Smith

The upper is more or less a "stock" Rock River 16" midlength stainless. The only difference between that one a one off the shelf is that I had a local gunsmith turn down the barrel profile under the handguards.

-z

CopeLC

That's a fine looking weapon. I've been eyeballing RRA for a long time to get one of their AR's. I cannot decide on whether or not to get the CAR length handguards or the Mid length ones.

I am up in arms, so to speak, about deciding upon the Tactical CAR A4 and the Elite CAR A4. The Tac A4 has CAR length handguards and the Elite has the mid length ones. Does anyone have any experience mounting a bayonet on either of those models? It looks like one won't mount on the CAR length handguard model because the lug may be too far toward the magwell.

Also, Zak...can you explain that badarse looking stock you have?

OBIWAN

Nice!

Mind sharing the name of that "local" gunsmith

Always looking for talented people to take my Money!

Thanks,

Bill

Zak,

Could you discuss the advantages of the mid-length gas system over the carbine-length?

I'm considering putting one of these guys together and trying to determine what practical differences exist between CAR style uppers and M4 style uppers. Thanks.

Zak Smith

TSG-

In general, the longer the gas system (up to rifle length at least), the more mild the gas impulse will be, the more reliable the rifle will be, and the less the gun will move during recoil.

For barrels 17" and longer, it's best to go with a rifle gas system.
16" ought to use mid.
I don't know if 14.5" can use mid or not.

-z

Wildalaska

Zak what do you think about the magpul stocks, any details info? Thinkin of tossin one on my Bushy or even on one of the big pile of 6920s I got in, one of which gets stashed for you know who

WildarseverywhereAlaska

Onslaught

If I may, I have a RRA mid-length barrel that I had turned down to .850 and fluted. The bbl weighs 35.1 ounces. According to the Maryland AR15 Shooter's site, a mid-length barrel turned to .750 should weigh approximately 34 ounces.

My rifle, with a DD 9.0 forend, CavArms C1 stock, and a TA01 weighs approximately 7.5 pounds...

Using the Maryland AR15 Shooter's site weight table, Zak's rifle may weigh just under 8 pounds (7.91) with optic and mount. (I had to guess on the KAC mount as it's not listed).

I REALLY like mine. I don't have a camera, but if I did, I wouldn't post my crappy pics in a thread with Zak's excellent photos anyway :p

I am up in arms, so to speak, about deciding upon the Tactical CAR A4 and the Elite CAR A4. The Tac A4 has CAR length handguards and the Elite has the mid length ones. Does anyone have any experience mounting a bayonet on either of those models? It looks like one won't mount on the CAR length handguard model because the lug may be too far toward the magwell.

Get the Elite! I could care less personally about mounting a bayonet, but I can tell you that a 16" carbine (RRA barrels don't come shorter than 16" for Civvies) will not mount a bayonet, but a 16" mid-length will.

14.5" - Carbine
16" - Mid
18+ - Rifle

And it looks SOOO much better to boot!

Zak, Hey, you got a Larue QD AP mount and Troy BUIS. That's exactly what I'm getting for my 6920, along with an AP CompM2 4 MOA. Good choices. ;)