Mid-late 70's USAF revolver?

nfafan

Hello all,

Was in the USAF from 10/73 - too long, and in between I had a chance to schedule myself to the SAMTU for handgun training. Repeatedly.

Did great actually, and nothing beats shooting up someone else's ammo!

Anyway, they had us using S&W revolvers, IIRC - 6-shots. Great and easy gun for a handgun noob, and I always wondered which one it was, so I could find a used one someday.

From lurking here - was this revolver the "K-15"?

Thanks!

Jim March

It could have been an S&W model 15, which was built on the "K" frame size and had adjustable sights in 38Spl. The fixed-sight equivalent would have been the model 10.

DPris

Member Emeritus
72-76 we were using Model 15s, I never saw a Model 10 at any of the four bases I was at.
Denis

Webleymkv

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the Air Force issued S&W M15's. Prior to S&W's change to model numbers in 1957, the M15 was known as the K-38 Combat Masterpiece. The M15 is built on S&W's K-Frame and has adjustable sights. The M15 was available in either blue or nickel with either a 2" or 4" barrel.

BillCA

Yes, indeed, it should have been the Model 15, as shown below in a "family" photo. The Model 15 is a medium "K" frame revolver chambered for the .38 Special, six shots, with a blue finish, adjustable rear sights, a ribbed 2" or 4" barrel with a Baughman Quick-Draw front sight. Grips were typically "magna" style walnut.

The Model 15 was designed as a "better" police sidearm than the standard Model 10 M&P revolver with fixed sights. Many police officers carried a Model 15 for the better sight picture it offered and because it's weight and balance were just right for the .38 Special.

M15MFamily_1422.jpg

Stainless Model 67 shown with 2 & 4-inch Model 15's.

You can sometimes find nice pre-owned Model 15's and even police trade-in guns in very good shape in gun shops or used gun distributors. These can be a good buy if well cared for or lightly used. I personally love my 15/67 pair. They're shown wearing the target grips which suit my hand better. The snubby still wears it's original Magna grips.

aarondhgraham

No doubt about it,,, Model 15 was the handgun,,,,

The Model 15 K-38 Combat Masterpiece was the standard issue sidearm for the Air Force in the early 70's.

That's what I carried at 3 different duty stations.

It's not difficult to find a good used one in the 300 to 450 price range,,,
I found this near perfect specimen a couple of months back,,,
Paid 500 for it, the box, and all factory accessories.

stella-lr.jpg

IMHO this might be the epitome of .38 special revolvers.

jhenry

aarondhgrahm, you should post a picture with the revolver in it so we can enjoy it :)

Yes, issue was the Smith and Wesson Model 15. 4" and blue, although some were sent back for refurbishment and came back parkerized. Aircrew guns were 2 1/2' model 15's at that time. Standard load was an anemic 130 grain FMJ. Aircrew loads were Glasser saftey slugs. Nice guns, crap ammo.

aarondhgraham

Hello jhenry,,,

I get that a lot when I post this particular picture,,,
The Frankoma Pottery Fan Dancer catches the eye doesn't it.

It might actually be more valuable than the handgun.

Yesterday I made a find and immediately laid out the cash for it.

I found a S&W Model 18 K-22 Combat Masterpiece,,,
It's the exact same handgun but in .22 LR.

I can't pick it up until Saturday though,,,
Something about a 10 day wait before a pawn shop can sell a gun they have purchased from a private individual.

"I found a S&W Model 18 K-22 Combat Masterpiece,,,
It's the exact same handgun but in .22 LR."

I bought a Model 18 last summer.

SWEET gun!

aarondhgraham

Hello Mike,,,

I'm itching to get her out and shoot,,,
First time I've had to wait for a gun since I left California.

This specimen has a lot of blue wear on all of the high spots,,,
I would rate her halfway between good and very good.

The cylinder locks up tight though,,,
So I don't think $325 was a bad price at all.

Now if I can just find a S&W Model 34 with a 2" barrel,,,
I'll have a .22 LR match for all of my favorite centerfire handguns.

Glenn Dee

Hey Guys...

I'm an Air Force brat. I grew up in base, and local housing on several bases, and detatchments. I remember my dad sometimes carrying a revolver. My best recolection is a 4" blue steel. At the time he was assigned to the security police.

I'm just wondering what jobs in the USAF required carrying the model 15's. I know the security police, and officers in missle silo's. Who else may have?... The Air Police?... Flight crews?

aarondhgraham

Hello Glen Dee,,,

A lot of it depended on your unit commander,,,

My first job was as a mere Maintenance Control Operator for a communications squadron,,,
But since we were at Squadron HQ at night and had access to crypto gear,,,
Our commander authorized (required) us to carry sidearms.

When I was attached to an Army outfit in Nam,,,
I carried the Model 15 revolver 24/7.

Other jobs I only carried at the duty station itself.

My career was weird wasn't it,,,
I was never an AP or security guard,,,
Yet in four out of my six jobs I was armed.

Nasty

4" M15 for almost all of the base personnel. Some aircrew were trained with a 2" as carried in flight, while the OSI had a couple other choices possible.

My forum name on most sites is SAMTU Ray. 17 years as a Small Arms Marksmanship Training Unit instructor, 30+ years in competition.

Hope this helps.

aarondhgraham

Here is what Wikipedia has to say,,,

The Model 15 was the standard issue sidearm of the U.S. Air Force Air/Security Police, the DoD version of the "Combat Masterpiece" using M41 .38 Special 130-grain FMJ RN Ball ammunition, between 1962 and the adoption of the Beretta M9 pistol in 9x19mm caliber in 1985. These M15 revolvers were replaced by the Beretta M9 pistol in 9x19mm caliber by the early 1990's.

Click Here please,,,

p99guy

I have read that the Air Force contract 4 inch M15's fell withen the 15-2, and 15-3 revision models.

orangello

I'm pretty sure that J&G sales has some of the police trade in model 15's, but they were converted to DAO. I've seriously considered getting one for my dad.

aarondhgraham

J&G Has Model 67's as well,,,

Unless I have the number wrong,,,
That is the stainless steel version of the model 15.

Check around some other places before you commit to one of the DAO revolvers,,,
It's not a rare handgun so you should be able to find an unmodified one,,,
I see clean Model 15's and 67's on gunbroker all the time.

Good luck in your search.

rodfac

I was a Forward Air Controller flying O-1E Bird dogs in Vietnam 69-70 (my first tour) and was issued a S&W M-15 .38 Special when I arrived in-country. Ours had the skinny useless stocks, not the target models. (and part of the reason that I carried a Colt .45 instead.) Prior to that, as a range officer at the Air Force Academy from 66-68, we trained new cadets with the same guns. Much earlier cadets (in the 64-65) era were trained with a 2" barreled S&W .38 Special.

All of the fighter types flying out of Bien Hoa AB, in S. Vietnam while I was there carried the Model 15 Smith as well, tho they turned theirs in after each flight to the personal equipment guys. As a FAC flying up country out of An Loc in lll Corps, we were armed 24/7, with both the hand gun and a Car 15 version of the M-16. For the bulk of my tour I left the Smith in the bunker and carried the previously mentioned, 1911A1 provided by my hosts... 5th Special Forces Berets in camp B-334. They thought highly of the green as grass shave-tail Lt. that provided their top cover while in the bush.

The Smith was well made and in good condition, but the Colt did a far better job and was better suited to the mud of slit trenches and fighting positions than any revolver. I wore it in a somewhat modified "tanker's" holster across my chest out of the way of the lap belt and shoulder harness in the bird, but instantly accessible if I needed to make a run for it. On the ground in the camp, it stayed pretty much out of the mud and glop in the bunkers and I was very religious about cleaning it each night.

Later, flying out of Thailand, in 72-72, I was issued the same type of Smith for in-flight carry. We turned them in each night as the base was considered secure....(Korat, and Takli).

JHMO, Rodfac

Last edited: