Microtech STG-556?

DubC-Hicks

I'd really like to get a bullpup, and these seem to be the least expensive out there. I've found a few listings on gun auction sights, and the price seems decent. Anyone have experience with one of these?

darkbasic

I personally don't have any experience with these but guns & ammo did a special on them 2 years ago. The stg 556 got very high reviews. Some complained about the glass on the optic, but Microtech said it would upgrade the glass in its next run of rifles next year (then 2009). Plus, microtech manufactures some really fine knives, I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'd be interested to see what people say, especially about the trigger pull, it being a bull pup and all.

Powderman

I have one, and I love it!

Easy to handle, very comfortable to shoot, and it balances well. It's easy to field strip--and an added plus is that with a movement of a button and a 1/4 turn twist, you can remove the barrel completely for cleaning.

One thing--if you get an older version, go ahead and order another extractor from Microtech or Rat Worx--they are an authorized repair station. The only problems I have ever had with the gun was with an older extractor that didn't work sometimes. I replaced the extractor and it ticks like a Swiss watch.

DubC-Hicks

It looks like the Gen 4s are getting good reviews, and they are the ones I keep seeing. Do you guys know which gens take the real Steyr mags? I think the Gen 4s do. I don't want to have to buy the microtech mags.

Also, powderman, any issues with steel case stuff? That's what I use for plinking ammo, mostly Tula.

wayne in boca

I have an E4.It takes AR15 mags,and is a fine rifle.All current production MSAR rifles are E4's I believe.
All I have ever fired in my rifle is Wolf steel cased ammo.No problems.

Last edited:
yeah, make sure the one you're getting has the tulip style muzzle break and no forward assist. the early ones had different muzzle breaks and sometimes had forward assists. these are very buggy.

the only problem i've had with mine is that the extractor wasn't a fan of switching between steel and brass ammo. finding replacements for these extractors is tough. however, ratworx is making a hybrid bolt that lets you use AR extractors. i have purchased this for mine. i'm also a fan of their hybrid trigger pack that lets you use AR trigger parts. the manticore charging handle also lets you charge it a little easier. they also make good rails and mounts for it.

IMAG0025_zps4998abf2.jpg

Last edited:

DubC-Hicks

Well, I missed out on the one I was looking at. But now I'm broadening my search to other bullpups too. It seems that the new AUG A3s and FS2000s are going for about the same price as the MSAR. Anybody shot either of these?

5.56RifleGuy

The aug is a lot more comfortable to shoot. The FS2000 leaves me with a feeling of being punched in the cheek when I fire it. Mounting an optic that sat higher helped with that somewhat. The a3 is a little front heavy. I think I prefer the a1 style as it is lighter. If you like having rails the a3 has plenty of them. Both disassemble easily. The fs2000 uses standard ar15 mags, as in GI style. Pmags will not fit unless you modify the rifle by removing the mag well "wipes". The aug mags are pricey. They do have a nato version that uses ar15 mags, but its harder to get a hold of and costs a little more. The aug has 9mm conversion kits out there, but they are pricey. I like both but I like the aug more.

The Tavor is better than both. The controls are laid out better, it takes any AR mag, points great, offers conversion kits (soon). Light recoil, and many more things.

Id keep the Tavor over an a3 aug, but between the a1 and tavor it wouldbe a tougher choice.

DubC-Hicks

It's the A3 CQC that has all the rails, the standard a3 has 2 I think. The top rail, and a small rail on the right side. That's the model I've been looking at. I held an STG-556 a few months ago and loved it, so I'm guessing I'd love the AUG too.

As to the Tavor, I can't get past the looks. I know, function over form, but I just can't do it. :(

Another thing, I have a Glock 31 in OD green, so an AUG in OD would fit in well. Matching green Austrian guns would be pretty cool. :D

5.56RifleGuy

Yeah, i have the standard. 2 rails are more than enough for me. The CQC must weigh a ton. Looks excessive. It alreafy has a vertical foregrip, so I dont know what anyone would really need them for anyway.

Dont like the looks on the Tavor? I guess I can see that. If you handle one you will apperciate the ease of manipulation over the other 2. The bolt release is 10 times easier to get to. The charing handle is easier to manipulate also. I find on the aug my hand tends to hit the optic and rail, which hurts a bit. Doesnt happen on the a1 though. I like how easy it is to pop the barrel off the aug. Id like one of the extra long barrels, but they are pricey.

I like the original green too.

DubC-Hicks

I bet I could get past the looks of the Tavor if I was able to check one out in person, to make sure I like the feel of it. But there are no gun shops around here that carry any of these guns. I've been lucky that I could hold an MSAR and an FS2000 at a gun show, but chances are slim I'll find a Tavor at one.

DubC-Hicks

I just went to one in my town on Sunday. It wasn't good at all. But I'm in a small town. Really small, out in the middle of nowhere. I'm at least 2 hours from any decent sized shows. :mad:

I'm just going to have to do some more research, and decide which I think I'll like the best. It's between the AUG, MSAR, and Tavor I think.