Micro Glocks?

SpyGuy

Hello all,

We've seen the "baby" Glocks. They are very nice, but still too fat for many CC situations.

Does anyone know (or heard rumor) of a "micro" Glock (my term) that is slimmer than the current breed of baby Glocks (specifically, the Glock 26)?

I'd be willing to sacrifice a few rounds (can always carry extra magazines) for an even more compact weapon than the current generation. I'd even prefer a (slightly) longer slim single-stack mag design over the short fat double-stack.

Judging by the demand for Kahr pistols, I'm not the only one who thinks the baby Glocks could use a diet. Still, I'd prefer a Glock over any other current weapon on the market.

Thoughts? Any Glock reps out there?

Onslaught

Yeah, I've had more than a couple of guys agree with me that a single stacked version of the 26 or 27 would be a must-have.... But they'd REALLY have to do some slide slimming, moreso than the 30/36 venture.

Stretch

Unlikely

Glocks won't get much smaller because of import regulations. A smaller glock would also be lighter, and I think that the 36 just barely has enough points to clear for import. Someone tell me if I'm mistaken.

SpyGuy

But they'd REALLY have to do some slide slimming

Yes, I was thinking about the whole package, not just the mag and grip.

A little more rounding off on the slide wouldn't hurt either.

KSFreeman

For years I have been yammering for a single stack, slim-line .45 the size of the G23, or even G21 "Glockzilla" so people could get their hands around them. Not Invented Here.

Sorry, Mr. Freeman, we at Glock know what's best and we sell `em just fine without any changes in the machinery. Oh, well, Patton tried to get double coax machine guns on AFVs and failed. Hey, when Glock does finally do as we suggest, we at TFL can file suit!

jtduncan

Never had any problems packing my Glock 26.

Any smaller and reliability may be compromised.

Maybe a Kahr MK9 would work for you.

Rainbow Six

I actually own a "micro-Glock". Picked it up at a law enforcement trade show last month. Here's a picture of it. VERY concealable!!! :D

R6

Attachments

• microglock.jpg
    microglock.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 378

SpyGuy

Any smaller and reliability may be compromised.
I can't see why making a Glock smaller would compromise its reliability. Obviously, other manufacturers are able to make smaller pistols that function reliably.

I suspect the issue has to do with economics more than engineering.

Rainbow Six

I also have the slightly larger version. A little harder to conceal with the "lanyard" attached but the added fire power is worth it! :D

R6

Attachments

• microglockb.jpg
    microglockb.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 207
P

PreserveFreedom

IMHO, one of the biggest advantages to the Glock 26/27 is the ability to use the full sized mags in a pinch. By going to a single stack, you would lose that. It may also lead to more people using them in a pocket and carelessly drawing with their finger on the trigger and then blaming Glock's design when something goes wrong.

SpyGuy

IMHO, one of the biggest advantages to the Glock 26/27 is the ability to use the full sized mags in a pinch. By going to a single stack, you would lose that.

That's an easy fix: buy more single-stack mags. Plus, if you end up having to buy a different, more-concelable gun because the baby Glock is too big for CC, then those full-sized Glock mags aren't going to help you in a pinch either.

It may also lead to more people using them in a pocket and carelessly drawing with their finger on the trigger and then blaming Glock's design when something goes wrong.

That's what Darwin called "Natural Selection." It is impossible to fully protect stupid people from their own actions. As for blame and liability, that's just a ploy sold to the American public to make tort lawyers rich. :barf:

sox

a micro sized glock is great idea, the Kahr MK9 will no doubt be made in polymer. It is only 22mm wide, a colt 1911 slide is only 19mm thick, a glock 26 is 30, plenty of room to work with. Weight will be the kicker trying to overcome the import points, you could add a tungsten guide rod and chamber indicator and safety that might do it. I think this next year will bring alot of cool stuff, the P99 will be offered in subcompact, Glock will have something, and Wilhelm Bubits has an XS model out there that is 6x4" and in 9mm, apparently Steyr did not pick it up with the M and S line and currently he is seeking a vendor. My problem is waiting for the goodstuff. Where is the Shot Show this next year?

Wild Romanian

Micro Glocks

I have no use for light weight pistols that are extemely small and double action only. I have seen some very skilled people who can consistantly hit targets out to 75 yards with a pistol miss targets as close as 7 yards with a light weight double action only pistol (I am not talking about glocks here). Light weight pistols are also very difficult to control in a rapid fire situation. In short you do not get something for nothing. Life is a double edged sword.
How would you like a pistol as small as the walther ppk but in the better 9mm luger caliber. It can be carried safely in an emergency with no holster (try this with a glock and you will lose your middle leg. It can be stored under desperate circumstances inderneath your pillow (try this with a glock and you will wake up with a big headache. It can be stored near an extreme heat source and not melt.
The piece can be carried hammer down on a loaded round, safety off or safety on. Or carried hammer at full cock, safety on. It is small but aboslutley controllable when used in rapid fire. I am not saying the very small glocks are not somewhat controllable under rapid fire but they fall fall short of the controllabliltiy of this weapon. The weapon has an abidextrious safety, beveled magazine well, white dot sights, chekered front and back straps. Yes it is heavy for a small pistol (30 ounces) but its weight makes it a rugged, and controllable little piece of dynamite. It is a far better all round choice with many more safe carry options than the glock. It is far cheaper than the glock. And I really would not be suprised if do to its design that it lasts as long as a glock.
If you have not already guessed which weapon I am talking about it is the 9mm Star Starfire. I never pass one up if I get a bargain on it. W.R.

Redlg155

I think the a smaller 9mm/.40 "micro" glock single stack fashion much like the G36 would sell good.

When the G-36 came out there were a lot of naysayers, and there still are. The same will happen with a single stack "micro" glock. I find my G36 fits the role perfectly with what I need it for, as many others have. It is in the same category as the Sig P245 and similar sized .45 compact pistols. To expect them to perform like their larger counterparts is like asking a J frame snubby to perform on par with a 6 in. Mod 686 revolver.

If Glock comes out with one..I will buy one. If Glock comes out with a big brother to my G36, I would also purchase one.

Good Shooting
RED

SpyGuy

When the G-36 came out there were a lot of naysayers, and there still are. The same will happen with a single stack "micro" glock.

Frankly, I can't see why people are opposed to the idea of a "micro" Glock. What are the (rational) objections?

Too small to be comfortable firing? For a defensive CCW, who cares about comfort when it comes time to put down a bad guy? I'm more concerned about the comfort and concealability of the weapon when it's not in action (i.e., when I'm wearing it).

Less firepower? Many people feel justified carring tiny 5-shot S&W revolvers and other limited-round CCweapons (often in sub-38 calibers). IMHO, a single-stack Glock would be a vast improvement over any of those weapons. Furthermore, a single-stack Glock with a spare mag, would offer more CC options than a fat double-stack baby Glock. True, you'd sacrifice some tactical advantage if you had to reload, but how many defensive applications involve an extended fire fight? Finally, I'd argue that a carrying a single-stack "micro" Glock gives you infinitely more firepower than not carrying a baby Glock that's too large for you CC needs.

Less accurate? Sure, you're not going to take out any long-range BG's, but then that's not a defensive situation anyway. And, Hollywood dramatics notwithstanding, you'll have as difficult a time taking out long-range BG's with a baby Glock, or even a G-19. For virtually all close-in defensive situations, I think a micro Glock would be more than accurate (provided you actually practice with the weapon).

So what are the real arguments against a "micro" Glock? Or is it just a macho image problem?

SpyGuy

Another thought on this matter...

It seems that the most logical reasons Glock has not yet produced a "micro" Glock are:

1. Economics. Note that, with the exception of the new Glock 36, all the Glock slides are the same width within their caliber family. In fact, besides the G36, all of the slides are 30mm wide except for the .45ACP and 10mm slides which are 32.5mm wide. I imagine that redesigning and retooling for a different slide width involves a considerable capital expense. However, the fact that Glock did make a new, narrower slide (28.5mm) for the G36 is a good sign. Still, I'm sure that weapon was targeted to the LEO market as a duty sidearm (which would justify the expense). My concern is that "micro" Glocks would appeal to a significantly smaller market and may be more difficult for Glock to amortize.

2. Import Points. I'm not well versed in the arcane and obtuse import restriction rules, but I've seen it suggested that a "micro" Glock may not be heavy enough to import. If so, couldn't Glock circumvent the rules the same way I've heard that they do with the adjustable sights on the baby Glocks? (Or is that not true.) I was thinking they could add a "stabilizing weight" (or some other such nonsense) to the bottom of the magazine plate just for import. Once in country, they could remove it and replace it with a regular mag floor plate.

Finally, I'm wondering if we could get some kind of support list (I wouldn't want to call it a petition) going to persuade Glock to manufacture "micro"Glocks. Perhaps if enough people signed on...

sox

On further analysis of this isssue I got out my micrometer last night. The Glock 26 is advertised at 30mm in width. It is in the grip. The slide is actually 25mm. The front of the frame where it tapers is only 22mm or Kahr width. Thus you have 8mm to play with. The grip is the key area that needs slimming. You could slim this a great deal without bothering the slide, but you wouldn't drop the weight that drastically, so maybe could make the weight criteria. It would be great if they could lengthen the grip 1/4", this would allow a comfortable grip without need for cheesy enhancers and maybe allow 10 rounds still.

Onslaught

Preserve Freedom:

I agree with you that being able to use the full size mags in a pinch is a GREAT advantage, but only if you own/carry the larger glock too. I always saw that as a big advantage to the LEO community, but for civies like me, I need the smallest, lightest, most potent handgun I can comfortably and conveniently conceal on my person. For me, that is not the current 26/27... I'm thick enough already, and adding another inch and a quarter + holster doesn't help much. You wouldn't think that a quarter of an inch really mattered, but on me, it just prints too much. Must be the way clothes fit me or something. 1" is the most I've been able to hide by the luv handles.

I'm certainly not saying "get rid of" the 27, I just wouldn't mind having a slimmer option.

sox

Onslaught, I totally agree. The Kahr MK9 is perfect size but too heavy. It is like a small brick. When they offer a polymer version that will be the way to go I think, but I would much prefer a Glock version. Making it here in the USA would be key.