(MI) Woman Shoots Intruder in Self Defense

Drizzt

Woman Shoots Intruder in Self Defense

Reported by Cheryl Chodun
Web produced by Kelly Reynolds

Two terrified women felt they had run out of options. The women huddled in a closet clutching a handgun while intruders roamed through their Detroit flat. But it wasn't until one of the suspected thieves opened the closet door that the women fired.

One suspect is hospitalized. He is in serious condition. He is under arrest. Police are searching for at least one more suspect and probably more. They say what happened inside the flat on Sorento looks like a clear case of self-defense.

With guns drawn, police were back at a home that was broke into Tuesday night. They weren't sure who called them, but no one was at the home Wednesday morning. The two women who live in the flat, though, had quite an ordeal Tuesday night. When it was over, one of the women had shot one of the suspects.

"You've got to protect yourself. You have to. So to me they did the right thing. Because it could have happened and they could have got hurt," said Pauline Clark, a friend of the victims.

Police say it happened just after 11:30 when the suspects broke in through a back door that leads to a bedroom in the lower flat.

"Heard the noises. She fled from downstairs and went to the upstairs neighbor and they both hid in the closet. He approached with a weapon, opened the door, and she fired approximately two shots to defend herself. One of the suspects was struck in the neck," explained Sgt. Jonathan Parnell, Detroit Police Department.

One of the neighbors says he saw the injured suspect and others running away from the home.

"He said, 'Oh, I been shot, I been shot.' He stopped by the car and ran a little further, and told his friend again, 'I been shot.' So his friend came back and grabbed him. She didn't have no other choice but to shoot him. You know? I mean that's a shame he got shot, but he had no business breaking in there," one witness said.

While crime scene investigators went through both floors of the house, ransacked and blood stained, friends of the victims, who stayed away Wednesday, say they can't believe it happened in their neighborhood.

"I was so nervous. You seen me. I was in shock," Clark said.

They're just thankful, though the two women, who are good friends, are okay.

"I'm so glad. I'm so glad. Oh, man. I hope everything gets better," said Clark.

Police say there was a trail of blood leading out the front door, down the walk, and down the street. And some people say they heard when the suspects were trying to get away, they were actually knocking on doors to try to get help. Police say they had no knowledge of help that.

The suspect is in serious condition and they are hoping when he come comes to, they can talk to him and he will help them find the other suspects. If you know anything, please call Detroit Police.

http://www.detnow.com/news/0210021701.html

Fred Hansen

Well, too bad the "suspect" isn't dead. Here's hoping gangrene sets in.

Who has a "flat" outside of fairy-pants England?:confused:

Jim V

"...that's a shame he had to get shot..."? To hell it is, they all should have been shot after breaking in to the place.

Good for you Lady. If I knew who you are, I'd buy you another box of ammunition for your pistol.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
...a home that was broke into...

Yeah, probably by some self-inflicted genius who doesn't know the difference between "broke" and "broken".

Hemicuda

Did anyone else catch the line "she fired APPROXIMATELY 2 shots"?

OR, Maybe it was 1.5 shots, or 2.134902 shots???

gbelleh

Here's a version with much much better grammar.
This one is "web produced" by Christiana Ciolac.
I guess Kelly Reynolds needs to get some kind of grammar check on her computer.??

Detroit Woman Shoots Intruder

Reported by Cheryl Chodun
Web produced by Christiana Ciolac

A woman fired at one of the men who were inside her west side home late Tuesday night, shooting him in the neck.

The suspect is in the hospital in serious condition, under arrest. Another suspect is on the run.

Police say the intruders broke into the upper flat on Sorento Street Tuesday night. The woman, who had a gun on her night stand, was not about to be robbed.

With guns drawn, police were back at the home that was broken into. They were checking on a door left open. They were not sure who called them, but no one was home Wednesday morning.

The two women who live in the flat had quite an ordeal. Police say two men broke in about 11:30 p.m. One was armed, but one of the homeowners, a 53-year-old woman, had her own gun and fired at the intruders, hitting one in the neck. There was no sympathy for him as the homeowners gathered at the scene.

"They break in there, they want to hurt you, you know what I'm saying? She didn't have no other choice but to shoot him. That's a shame he got shot but he had no business breaking in there," said Edward Quarles.

"You've got protect yourself. You have to. You know, so she did the right thing," said Pauline Clark.

The break-in and shooting are being investigated. Police are looking for another suspect. Police do not anticipate any charges.