MI Flip-Up Rear Sight Issue

Just got a MI flip up rear sight (SPLP version) for a DPMS LR-308 (AR-10).
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=173

I installed it and because it is a low profile the aperture portion or ears of the sight straddle the spine of the upper. You have to install it so that when it is down, the aperture portion straddles the area behind the picatinny portion because it is narrower. It will not straddle the picatinny portion.

Well when putting it in the down position it rubs the left ear of the sight as it goes down or up. When in the down position the aperture is not in the center of the rail but is offset. It is hard to tell if the aperture is centered exactly in the up position or not. It is almost like the sight folds down at an angle and not with the centerline of the gun.

Is this normal? It just doesn't seem right to me at all. Why have a sight that doesn't stay on the centerline of the rifle when it is folded. I'm not happy about this at all. It just looks goofy when folded because it isn't centered.

Sorry to ramble but it is a little hard to explain. Just wanted to see if this is normal or if anybody else has seent this before, prior to me calling Midwest.
Thanks,
JP