Metro Arms American Classic Commander - Any Good???

Minorcan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I acquired a Commander sized Stainless version and thought I would provide some initial impressions and seek some input from others. The fit is excellent. With the slide racked back and locked back there is only a slight amount of play forward and backward and the normal side play which should be expected. The frame and slide are forged steel not cast. My Colts, Paras, Ruger, Springfields and S&Ws all have much more play. With the slide forward the barrel seats solidly and I can't detect any up and down or sideways play when I apply pressure to the slide or barrel. In general the finish is well polished and free of defects. The internal milling marks are minimal and as good or better than some custom guns. The trigger is very nice with minimal take up and a nice crisp let go. The reset is short and positive. There is an over travel screw and it was set just right from the factory. Another design feature I like is that it is a 70 series gun. Trigger pull from the factory is 4.5 pounds. Not bad for the price. Now, how does it shoot. Very nicely, no FTF, FTFire or FTE in 499 rounds of mixed ammo. Weight is a little heavy but this reduces recoil. I like this gun especially for what I paid for it. Now for the clincher, the price was $550. I'm amazed that Metro Arms can make a gun this nice for that price.

Anyone else have experience with them???

qwiksdraw

My Gov't Model has over 3,000 rounds thru with 100% reliability. The same for my 9MM Commander.

As far as I'm concerned I don't know if there's a better gun, just a more expensive one.

michael t

Metro Arms frames are cast according to several accounts on the 1911 forums.

So my 2007 DAN WESSON CBOB is also a cast frame They didn't change till few years back Got a big head went forged and jumped the price way up..

Their are many others 1911 frames cast -I believe the Ruger are cast. They own a casting foundry. Here in USA

1911 frame isn't stressed. So doesn't really need to be forged. The slides are forged and not cast. I be more worried about a cast slide .

gyvel

Cast frames or receivers are something I generally don't worry too much about unless it has to do with National Ordnance 1903A3 Springfields.

KyJim

I agree -- cast frames are no big deal. You can get good cast, bad cast, good forged, bad forged.

Sarge

My Metroarms American Classic II was a superb 1911 by any measure; reliable, very accurate and well finished. I consider them the best of the Philippine 1911's by a fair margin- and I like Rock Islands.

The Metro Commander's use of a full-size frame is actually a plus, from my perspective. I could always build a match-grade 5" upper and slap it on my carry gun.

Minorcan

I've been away for a bit so my apologies for not plying sooner, we all have to work LOL>

Thanks for your replies. I got to shoot mine a little it, 700 rounds. I had zero FTFeed, FTFire, FTE or jams of any kind. The gun is just as tight as new, which it should be. The good news I that the trigger got even smoother and crisper. Amazing what a few 45 acp down the barrel will do. I agree with other posters cast frames are not a worry at least not for me. There are mixed messages on the webb whether its a forged or cast item.

One thing I did notice is that the grips though rough looking are really comfortable. Similar to a pair on a S&W I have. Look rough but OK.

I would say overall the accuracy is better than me. I did some shooting from a sand bag at 30 yards and groups were around 2.0-2.75" using a combination of ammo. I've run some ball and JHP with no problems.

I was concerned when I posted how my comments on this gun would be received. I'm glad to hear others are well pleased and like theirs as well. :)