Metering issues with UNIQUE and the Lee Perfect Measure

ClemBert

I take it when some of you read the subject of this post you thought to yourself "so what's new". I've read a few posts on other forums regarding metering issues with Unique. I thought I'd do a sanity check anyways and ask y'all about your experiences with the Lee Perfect Measure and Unique powder. Specifically, I'm measuring 8 grains of Unique for use behind a 250 grain LRNFP in 45 Colt reloads.

With the Lee Perfect Measure I noted a +/- 0.3 grain deviation from my target of 8 grains. I used a Lee Safety Scale to weigh each and every load as dispensed by the Lee Perfect Measure. It seemed that more often than not I found myself tapping the Perfect Measure several times to get the remaining dozen or so flakes to fall. I take it the problem is that Unique has relatively large flakes that contribute to the problem. I don't feel great about having loads ranging from 7.7 to 8.3 grains. I wonder at what point there becomes a safety issue such attempting to load at the absolute max suggested load only to find out that the Perfect Measure threw in another 0.3 grains on top of that max load. KABOOM? I suppose this issue is magnified by the fact that we are dealing with a relatively small measure (8 grains) of powder.

This is the first time for me using Unique. Perhaps it was a poor choice for powder but I bought it with versatility in mind. It seems that Unique is the choice for many handgun cartridges. As many would say, you can't go wrong with Unique.

Thoughts anyone? Experiences on this topic anyone?

Don P

Yes I have experienced the same problem. Lee's web site states that Unique WILL NOT METER WELL. They ain't liein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was having so much trouble with the metering I just started using the dipper and weighing every round. A real pain in the rump. Thankfully I have used the last of the Unique and only have Titegroup left.

I have found the Titegroup meters extremely well. I use it in 38spl/357mag, 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp. Also you use anywhere from 1.2 to 2 grains of LESS powder with Titegroup. Depending on bullet weight it could be a little more or less of powder useage. For me its another + for Titegroup. Less powder per round means more rounds loaded per pound. Win win all the way around. All amatter of personal choice as to what you would like to use. Another plus is Titegroup burns much cleaner than Unique. I would use up what you have in Unique and the explore other brands of powder.

Last edited:

Sevens

If you flip the clock back 30 or 40 years, most reloaders had Unique and 2400 and Bullseye and with those, they loaded any/every/all handgun cartridges to any power level they needed.

With a service life and reputation THAT long, it's always going to have it's fans. But the ultimate reality is that it's not 1975 and there are two dozen other powders that will do everything you want them to do without having to deal with the "combustible dirt" that is Unique.

Leave the orange bottle for the old guy that builds eighteen different calibers with the stuff and buy a pound of something else that not only performs better... burns cleaner... but does so with a lower charge weight AND can be metered through typical equipment.

jimkim

I have a Uniflow and Unique doesn't meter well in mine. I wish I had known this before I started buying powder measures.---> No two powder measures are the same. Just because a powder meters well in your buddy's brand X measure doesn't mean it will in your brand X measure. The only thing I've seen throw consistent charges of Unique are the Lee scoops.

Sport45

The real question is this: Do you see a difference on the target when your throws of Unique vary by +/- 0.2 gr? I haven't yet. Maybe I'm just not good enough. ;)

darkgael

Flakes

I haven't found a powder measure that will accurately meter a flake powder like Unique. I have three Lees, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady. None of them will do much different than the OP with Unique (or Red/Green/Blue Dot).
Lee dippers work.
Pete

gun44

Lee Perfect Measure............

I have used 3 Lee perfect measures over the years, and they throw most powder as accurate as any other measures. However, they are bad about throwing some powder onto the table, or loading bench. That being said, they are good measures, and I have one installed now for my handgun loads. Most of the loads that can be used with Unique, Red Dot, and other fast burning, flake powder really can't tell the difference in a couple tenths of a grain in variation, in my humble experience........

SwampYankee

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, a Hornady LNL Measure and a RCBS Uniflow.

They all work differently and excel with different powders. The Lee measure works brilliantly with extruded rifle powders (H3895, IMR4064, Varget). I find that the Uniflow works very well with ball and flake powders. The opposite is not true.

jmortimer

+1 for the Lee powder dipper and Unique. 9.2 grains is perfect for me with 255 grain SWC My scale collects dust once I'm sure that the powder I am using is properly labeled. Since I only use Unique and load .45 Colt and .38/.357 if I buy 8 pounds of Unique the scale can sit for a very long time. Nice not to ever weigh a charge once I check the contents of the cannister.

RDub

Yea the bottom line is, when throwing charges in a powder measure of any make, the larger the flake the less accurate that powder will be in consistent charges..
UNIQUE has relatively larger flakes, therefore it will not do well in measures.
The LEE dippers are an alternative.
UNIQUE has been around since Alley Oop fell off his dinosaur and has been useful in just about everything, but there are newer powders that will fill the bill just as well that will meter very well..

Same here. Unique is awful in the Lee, and none too great in my Uniflow, Redding, or Dillon measures. I've never tried it in the Quick Measure. I gave up on measures with the large flakes. They bridge and undercharge all the time.

Some folks have taken to attaching a fishtank air pump to their powder hoppers with rubber bands, and wiring a push-button switch to them so they can give two or three seconds of vibration to settle each charge, and claim that helps. I find a lot of tapping or shaking just wedges the flakes so they tend to jam the measure.

I have relegated Unique to the PACT electronic dispenser, and once my supply is gone, I will be mostly using Hodgdon Universal in its place. Cleaner an better metering, both.

CWPinSC

What powder would you guys recommend to use with the Lee thrower?

Alternatively, what thrower would work with the Unique and the Lee powder-thru die and press?

I'm currently reloading .380 ACP, .38 spcl., 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .45 LC. I may reload .223 in the future.

How do the dippers work? Does the charge need to be measured each time, or is the dipper accurate enough?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

jmortimer

The powder dippers are safer than any other charging method. You can modify the dippers to exactly the charge you want within a .1 of a grain. If you benchrest then you probably want to trickle charge. But,even then you could dump a charge on a scale and trickle it to exact weight. The beauty of the dipper is this - You buy a new 4 pound or 8 pound "keg" of powder. It has a label but the label may be wrong. You use your dipper and check it once (or twice at most) and then put you scale away - never to be used again until you buy some new powder because you have checked to make sure that the powder you bought was properly labeled. Now since I only use Unique I don't use the scale until I buy new powder which can be a long, long time if I get 8 pounds of Unique. If you use multiple powders you should check your first load or two to make sure you did not mix up powders when pouring them back into a container. Nothing is safer. You can fashion powder dippers out of shells by cutting/grinding them down until you get the exact charge you want and add a handle. To use the dipper you push it in bottom first into the powder and let the powder fall in and then strike it off with a card or small stright edge of some sort. Many have used business or credit cards. No moving parts and safety to the max.

MOREAMMO

I too have some metering issues with Unique in the Uniflow. Not too terrible. Have switched to H.Universal and have not looked back.

mongoose33

I went away from Unique because of the metering issues. A friend turned me on to WST and in the .45 ACP it rocks (plus it has had, over the last 15 months, the added virtue of being available).

And it meters wonderfully.

I recently tried WST in my 9mm with Hornady's XTP 124gr bullets. Unbelievably soft recoil, very accurate, I was shocked.

I've also had good success in both rounds with 231. Also meters terrifically.

I've used them in the Lee Perfect Powder measure as well as the Hornady powder measure on my LnL. Very nice in both.

Guess I am just lucky

I have an old RCBS powder thrower. Probably 40 years old, as my wife's grampa had it and I ended up with it. Today I loaded 50 rounds of 44 mag with Oregon Lasercast 200 gr LRNFP and Unique, at 8.5 grains. I weighed every 3rd or 4th toss, and it was right on the old dot. Love Unique (I must be one of them thar old guys that Sevens was talking about....yeah, come to think of it he's right! :D)

Sevens

..and there ain't NOTHIN' wrong with that! :D

I've got a nice stack of old G&A and Shooting Times magazines from the early 70's to the late 70's and man, -EVERY- time they show some load data from here, there or anywhere you can bet they are using good 'ole Unique.

If it works for you, heck yeah! Me, I've given it a couple shots at my bench and one day I may even dink around with it again. But in the mean time, I've got a dozen other powders that I just like a lot better.

Long live UNIQUE! (so that you old guys leave the Power Pistol on the shelf until I get there, while you walk out the door with your orange bottle!) ;)

joneb

I switched to AA#5, Unique would not meter well in my Redding Mod 3 with the pistol meter bar. I thought AA#5 would be more versatile than Universal for what I load, but I do hope to try Universal someday.