Metal magazine tube followers worthwhile?

idek

Various lever-action rifles come with plastic magazine followers. After-market replacements are available in aluminum or stainless steel, and have the claimed advantage of never swelling, cracking, or wearing out.

Can anyone chime in as to whether this is a worthwhile investment ($15-25) or is it a solution in need of a problem?

*the specific gun in question is a Marlin from about 2001, I think.

Last edited:

eastbank

i have not ever had a problem with factory followers on any firearms, not to say others have not had problems. i do have a HD short pump rem 870 12ga with a metal follower, but it came with it already in. i have shot thousands of shells at trap and other clay games with a regular rem pump that has the plastic follower with no trouble. but if you feel you need it, by all means replace it. eastbank.

stubbicatt

I'm with Eastbank on this one. I don't know what follower is in my Uberti 1873, but I replaced the plastic one in my 870 and it makes a huge difference, even increasing magazine capacity by one 2 ¾ shell.

The plastic one would hang up sometimes on the last round in the magazine. The aluminum one hasn't done that even once.

Pahoo

If it aint broke, don't fix it. ...

I subscribe to the notion that if there isn't a problem, don't try to fix it. There are some exception on making "solid" improvements but that is a different requirement. I have had problems with plastic follows that were readily resolved without replacement. ...... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
"... never swelling, cracking, or wearing out."

Sounds like those ads for vegetable products with "no cholesterol" when vegetables don't have cholesterol. A non-solution to a non-problem.

Jim

Water-Man

You may never have a problem with the plastic types but, then again, you might. In my experience, the metal types are more reliable.

idek

Thanks for the replies. Based on searches, other people have spoken well of these. Figured for $13 (item + shipping), I'd take a chance. I'm sure I've spent $13 on worse things.

Big Shrek

Downside of plastic parts...with Oxygen, heat, age, and other factors, they eventually degrade & become brittle...
(Like Marlin 60/795 or 1022 white plastic buffers)
However, it usually takes about 20+ years...(unless left in a truck box or back window, which goes quicker)

So if you buy a Used shotgun, yeah, usually a good idea to change it, and all springs.
Actually, that's true for any older firearm...Check your spring poundage, if light, change it...
you never know how the previous owner abused it.

Special note on those Marlin buffers, when they go bad, they crack little pieces off & gum up the trigger works,
as its right below the buffer...so when you clean the Trigger Guard & find a buncha white plastic in there,
its time for a new buffer ;)