Metal Detectors in Unexpected Places

Adventurer 2

Today, I visited Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell located in Philadelphia, PA. Both locations had airport type walk through metal detectors and x-ray machines for removeable items. I did not expect this. I had taken SEPTA(rail) into the city. If I had a pistol on me I would not have been able to go inside.
Does anyone know of other unexpected locations besides airports, schools, stadiums, and courthouses that have metal detectors?

chris in va

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. Not only metal detectors, but full-on TSA style patdowns and damn near strip searches.

Theme parks. Some do, some don't. King's Dominion has them but Hershey Park just has a person asking to see your bag. I think Six Flags is the same way.

No metal detectors, but I find it interesting that Gander Mountain asks you to disarm.

raggededge

chris in va said:
No metal detectors, but I find it interesting that Gander Mountain asks you to disarm.

I haven't yet been to the Gander up here, but the one in Spring, TX along I45 had a sign that said if you were properly permitted you could retain your firearm.

chris in va

I guess that's TX for you. Really signs here are meaningless and all they can do is ask you to leave. Now if you start arguing and refuse to leave, it's a misdemeanor trespass charge. I especially get a kick out of the no firearm signs at malls.

Gopher

I think Six Flags is the same way.

Six Flags in Texas has metal detectors turned up to toast! Also no knives of any type inside the park. I laughed my butt off at a girl in a food booth trying to open a box of cups with a spork because they didn't even have an edged implement.

Limeyfellow

Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell has had metal detectors and xray machines in place since 9/11 due to Federal rules. There was alot of grumbling about it at the time how a thing thats supposed to represent freedom and liberty had so many rules imposed on people. All areas considered of national interest like that were upgraded. Of course since they are considered federal buildings its illegal to be armed in those buildings, so its a good job you didn't take your firearm.

Maser

School

I remember last year I was visiting a cousin in LA and his school was still in session for a week after mine was over for summer vacation. His school had metal detectors and I wasn't used to them because my school don't have them. Anyways, I was carrying a lighter in my pocket that's shaped like a cartridge. Funny because it says .44 magnum on the bottom, but the size is more like a .700 NE. I'm not a smoker nor pyromaniac, but always carry a lighter just in case I need it for survival or something. So I walk through the detector and it beeps and then the guy next to the detector comes to me with a detector wand and of course it beeps on my pocket. I then empty my pocket in front of him and he freaks when I take out my lighter. He kept on thinking that I had a gun hidden on me somewhere. I had to wait there until the campus LEO came because the guard I guess couldn't legally frisk me. Anyways, I get frisked and the LEO saw the lighter on the counter and he thought it was pretty cool and then told the guard that if I was carrying a gun that shot a cartridge that size, there's no way I could have hidden a gun that big.

I got a good laugh from it. :D