MePlat trimming?

taylorce1

What kind of shooting are you doing and are you competing at high levels? If you aren't winning matches for money or setting world records it probably isn't worth the money. To me this kind of trimmer is a last resort to do when you can't wring anymore accuracy out of yourself, rifle, and load.

zfk55

We do it.

Anything out to 200 we won't necessarily do this, but beyond that range we would.

This is our process. Your's may vary, but this has proven itself for us.

Projectile prep:

We only use Berger VLDs, but Sierra SMKs work really great too.
Our method is to begin with meplat trimming. We use the Hoover. Buy the sort that indexes on the ogive, not the base of the bullet. That's going to be very important when you cross reference/compare actual seat depth from the ogive to COAL, cartridge to cartridge later.

Untrimmed

Moly001.jpg

Trimming process.

Moly003.jpg

Trimmed

Moly005.jpg

We then use a Hoover Pointer to reshape and center the hollow point and we taper it down to an opening that's approximately twice the thickness of the jacket wall.

Pointing

Armoury2003.jpg

Moly006.jpg

Pointed correctly

Moly002.jpg

This is only the beginning of our overall case/projectile prep process.

ADIDAS69

taylorce1:

I can make a 9" group at 600 with my REM 700 .300 win. mag. (completely un-modified) using the LEE reloading system and bulk ball projectiles (175 grn from wideners.com). I don't ever plan to shoot for money I just like to be really good at what i do. I have shot crazy expensive target ammo, but can't afford not to reload. So my most recent gear up grades have been the GTC case trimmer and the Hornady auto dispenser. I ordered up a couple thousand Nosler 190 grn HPBT projectiles and saw the meplat trimmer on the GTC web site. So i figured. What's another $75? Regarding unnecessarily expensive projectiles if you have an opinion on the Barnes Solid Brass bullets i would love to know it. I am wrestling with the idea of picking up a consumer level CNC lathe.

zfk55:

I saw that in my initial search, and I am curious what danger there is in accidentally closing the point completely and how horrible is it to just leave the projectile "asis"

thanks guys.

zfk55

My Dad and I have been doing this for a long time now and we do it for three specific rifles. A custom AR10 1,000 yarder, a single shot McCoy High Masters M1 Garand and a 22-250 that produces consistent .30" groups of 5 or 10 rounds.
At range there's a definite measureable difference with Melpat trimming. I have yet to "accidentally" close a hollow point but logically nothing would happen other than the likelihood one round being out of an expected group.
As for "as-is", check your SMK's very carefully. You'll find most all meplats are not true and most are longer on one side than the other.... or, out of true round at the tip.
At shorter ranges, who cares? No appreciable difference.

bigautomatic

I also trim, but not with every batch of bullets. I have found that the meplat on the SMKs are usually much more out of whack than VLDs.

I also second what taylorce1 said, that meplat trimming is one of the last steps in wringing a rifle out of its last bit of accuracy. There are many, many other steps you need to do before buying the trimming equipment.

ADIDAS69

Now that its on my mind, I have to trim them. Seeing them all uneven like that makes me crazy. So trimming meplats it is. in so far as other things i ought to do but don't to increase accuracy. My process thus far:

anneal
simple green tumble
rinse
cook
dry tumble
lube
re-size de-prime
dry tumble
trim/chamfer
hand prime
powder drop
bullet seat

of the following what should i add?

primer pocket uniforming
primer pocket cleaning
weighing and separating shell casings
weighing and separating projectiles
use solid brass projectiles turned on a lathe

What am i missing?

musher

Get a copy of "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by H. Vaughn

His results indicate that dispersion caused by irregular meplats is not measureable.

The entire book is a very interesting read.

taylorce1

primer pocket uniforming
primer pocket cleaning
weighing and separating shell casings
weighing and separating projectiles

I'd do all this first, and probably add in flash hold deburing. If you are serious about this I'd switch to Lapua brass as they have a reputation of being one of the most consistent out there. Since it looks like you are hanging out over on 6mm BR, have you tried running a ladder test on your loads at 600 yards?

Or you could try doing Dan Newberry's OCW method of reloading to find the optimal load for your rifle. He has a list of tools that he finds necessary and unecessary as well. I have some of both, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting wrapped up in gagetry.

Speaking for myself I sure wouldn't invest in a bench top CNC/lathe and start turning bullets. There are just too many good bullets being made out there for me to be spending time making bullets. Look at Cutting Edge bullets if you are looking for some hi BC solid bullets.

Here is another good article on tuning a load.

ADIDAS69

taylorce1:

You are correct; anything i read at 6mmBR i pretty much take as gospel. I end up there though, only when it pops up in the Google search. My father told me long ago that fishing gear catches more fishermen than fish. I hate fishing, but i have found that axiom transfers well to firearms. RE the lathe, my "hard-on" for picking one up is mostly because of things like the ammunition shortage and general toxicity of working with lead. I would normally just buy from Barnes (i prefer brass to copper). Those guys won't sell anything but 50 BMG these days because apparently the geniuses at the BATFE can't figure out if solid brass projectiles are too dangerous for the civilian population to own. I shoot 50BMG and have done the math. At my current rate of fire I would amortize the lathe in 5 years ((not including production of non 50BMG projectiles) based on the cost of commercial turned brass projectiles) or so. my wife suggested that i stop shooting so much but i plan on ignoring that suggestion.

madcratebuilder:

based on everything i read i think i will try silicone beads and a powder checker. the other methods i read about have too much subjectivity and possibilities for user error to be reliable.

ADIDAS69

MUSHER: I am sure after reading that particular tomb i will come to know how pointless my endeavor really is and i will believe it too. But i am still going to trim them. At the very least they will be pretty to look at.

5RWill

I know plenty of people that do it. I personally don't yet, as i doubt i'm shooting good enough for it to make a difference. Also supposedly takes off what 2% of BC?

hooligan1

Adidas, you go boy!! It Will improve performance of the Hollowpoint, and if I shot 'em and had extra money for the Meplat trimmer, I'd definetly have one and use it but not for that many bullets,,,, I'd get tired and hire me some kids to do it!!!:D:p

Zfk55 that's the witches --tty!!:cool: