Memorial day. I Remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.

homefires

Memorial Day is Here.

It comes in Many Names, Celebrated in Many Countries under different names but it's all the same.

I would like to extend a thanks you to all the folks that made it possible for me to be free.

First in line are the folks that gave there all and the ultimate sacrifice protecting this right.

I know Traditionally we / most people think of the Warriors lost, Typical Military folks that signed on knowing what they

Was doing, Did there jobs and paid the price.

With out doubt, they were and Are the front line.

There's another Element in this equation.

The Families!

I started off life as a Military Brat and believe it or not I was in the Military from Birth.

I suffered the Hard ships of Moving every two years.

I suffered the fact my father was gone most of my growing up years.

I suffered seeing my mother home alone months and years alone backing up her Man.

I remember going with out the stuff my friends had because mom would send the extras over to dad and his bunch.

I remember living in countries that I really was not wanted in.

I remember growing up Proud of my father and Joining the USAF my self.

Now I Know all those I's sounds a bit on the Selvage Side but I remember a few more things too.

I remember My family wasn't the only ones in that Boat.

I remember small Military Bases full of families going through the same thing.

I remember the family Next door that got the News there Father/Husband was not coming home or coming home in a Box.

Most of All, I remember how Proud we was to say We Remember.

No Matter what God is yours, God Bless American and Hers!

God Bless us all no matter ware You Live. Let Freedom Be!

homefires said:
First in line are the folks that gave there all and the ultimate sacrifice protecting this right.

I know Traditionally we / most people think of the Warriors lost, Typical Military folks that signed on knowing what they

Was doing, Did there jobs and paid the price.

With out doubt, they were and Are the front line.

There's another Element in this equation.
With all due respect, and speaking as a U.S. Army veteran of Vietnam, you are wrong. Memorial Day is the day to honor those who died in service to their country. I do not in any way mean to belittle the role or the hardships of the families who supported and who continue to support those who go in harm's way ... but Memorial Day is NOT for them.

Every year on Memorial Day I remember the awe I felt when, in 1994, I was privileged to travel to Europe and to stand in a few of the American cemeteries where so many of the American soldiers who preserved freedom in the world lie in rest. I visited only a handful, but there are many. The list can be found here: http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries.php

Photos do not do justice to the sheer number of headstones in each cemetery. You have to stand there and see them stretching out, seemingly without end, to truly comprehend the magnitude of the losses we suffered, and the extent of the sacrifice made by so many (mostly) young man.

lx1w.jpg

am1w.jpg

ar1w.jpg

ff1w.jpg

lo3w.jpg

ma1w.jpg

THIS (IMHO) is what Memorial Day is supposed to be about. Barbecues and family get-togethers and block parties are fun, but please don't lose sight of the reason why Memorial Day is a national holiday in the U.S.

Glenn E. Meyer

Sorry, sentiments are noble but it is off topic.

Before you get upset, if we didn't enforce such rules then every holiday or noble cause would be posted and that isn't what this forum is for.

Regrets.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.