Mega-stuck brass

John D

Came back to finish off loading some 7x57 Mauser ammo and forgot to lube the brass! Now I've got one really stuck in the sizing die. Did a search on the forum and even tried putting die in freezer, without success.

Trying to knock it out from the top would be useless and only smash over the brass. Any suggestions?

Nosler guy

I have 2 sizes of taps and bolts, in case you rip the threads out on the first try. Start with the small one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

T. O'Heir

Knocking it out from the top is how it gets done, but it does depend on the brand of die. A 6", 1/4" brass rod and a plastic mallet if your die can take the 1/4" rod. If you "smash over the brass" you're doing it wrong.
Otherwise, it's drill out the primer pocket, put in a screw and pull. The RCBS Stuck case tool is the same thing.

Don Fischer

Stuck case remover. Got one and only needed it one time. Never forgot to lube well again! :) If you live close I'd loan it to you. I take it out now and then to remind myself to lube well!

I've pulled the heads off stuck cases before and wound up having to eat the brass out with a copper solvent. KG-12 is fast. Might get done overnight. Boretech C++ is another good choice.

The freezing trick works if you get it really cold. Think dry ice.

Last edited:

Panfisher

If you think it is going to be a tough one double or triple up on it. Hit it with some kroil, while that is penetrating look up the stuck case remover, they are very easy to make if you have a tap set, finally when ready put it in the freezer over night, then use the stuck case remover to remove it.

jag2

I know when something like this happen you take it personally and you want to beat that blankety blank die. Just can't let it win. As a plan B, I've read that you can send it in to the maker and they will do it for you. Might be worth a phone call and check it out.

Pathfinder45

It's a priceless lesson. There are two kinds of dogs when it comes to porcupines: The first kind is the once-and-never-again type. The second kind repeats the same mistake over and over again. Be like the first one.

cptjack

drill and tap a 1/4 -20 hole in flash hole,,,find a socket inwhich the base of the bullet can be inserted......on top of socket put a heavy washer insert 1/4-20 bolt through socket and thread in stuck case. tighten bolt and should extract case. in case you haven't remove decapping pin before tapping case

g.willikers

even tried putting die in freezer, without success.
Whether to use heat or cold to help separate stuck parts can be a little confusing.
It requires knowing the rates of contraction and expansion of the materials involved.
But the technique can work quite well.

dahermit

drill and tap a 1/4 -20 hole in flash hole,,,find a socket inwhich the base of the bullet can be inserted......on top of socket put a heavy washer insert 1/4-20 bolt through socket and thread in stuck case. tighten bolt and should extract case. in case you haven't remove decapping pin before tapping case
With all due respect, those are poorly written instructions. One does not, "drill and tap a 1/4 -20 hole in flash hole...". One uses the proper tap drill(a number 7 drill bit), with which to drill a hole for a 1/4-20 tap. An average person does not necessarily know about drilling and tapping and can easily assume they should use a more common 1/4 inch drill bit, which would leave no metal left for the threads.

Also, " the base of the bullet can be inserted...", should likely read, " ..the base of the shell casing can pass through...".

ed308

I use Redding's Stuck Case Remover:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/136542/redding-stuck-case-remover

Instructions for use
Unscrew the expander-decapping rod until the decapping pin is free of the primer flash hole in the stuck case. Secure the reloading die in a vice and drill the case head with the included drill bit. Drill straight through the primer pocket and the primer flash hole. Next tap the case head the included 1/4"-20 tap. Place the stuck case remover body onto the case head and turn the cap screw with the allen-type wrench until the case is pulled from the die. Discard the case and reassemble the die.

Stats Shooter

If it makes you feel any better, I did it once in an RCBS .223 die..Got frustrated ( I was young and a bit more hot headed) and destroyed the die. Then I got carbide dies for .223 needing no lube.
But the lesson was learned and cost me $30 and now I never forget to keep my cases lubed before inserting cases when/where required.

jag2

Not to knock the great wealth of info on these forums but I've also learned to check on YouTube. I continue to be amazed at what you can find there. For this problem you can watch several home made remedies along the kits from the die makers.

dahermit

Spin out the neck plug, put in a punch that with rest inside the base of the case and smack it with a hammer.
If he is using RCBS dies (et. al.) for a bottleneck cartridge, and the case is stuck, that means he would have to pull the expander plug (which is on the decapping rod, just above the decapping pin), out through the neck of the case while it is still being squeezed by the sizing die. I suspect that there is not enough clearance to do that. As I remember it, one unscrews the decapping/expander button rod as far as possible before drilling than tapping the primer pocket/flash hole, but cannot remove it completely. I may be wrong on this, but that is how I remember it.

Always remember: Never force it...always use a bigger hammer.